Sulfasalazine, have you tried it??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I hope it`s ok to post on here, even though my sister has been told "inflammatory arthritis" I think it`s a wait and see with the hospital....she has tried with dreadful affects Methotrexate, and they are now giving her sulfasalazine....has anyone tried this, and to what affect?....So far the only relief she gets, is steroid injections....but of course, there`s a limit to how many!  Thank you to any replies.....

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hiya i have psa and after looking into the side effects of methotrexate which i didnt want to take i asked for sulfasalazine. i have to say i was on my 4th week and 4th day and developed a rash on my legs- the same as i get with prickly heat. i was advised to stop taking them which i did. when the rash went i sartrd from the beginning and have now been back on full dose for about 8 week. this drug has helped me and has taken away the inflamation. i have no side effects. i think its a good drug especially compared to the side effects of methotrexate. u can drink, dont need an xray. hope u have the same success
  • Posted

Gosh, the sulfa drugs are an antibiotic type medication.. It did not help me personally at all and ended up causing breathing type asthma problems for me. Typically I've always seen sulfa drugs tried first, then methotrexate, then biologics..are u on a prescribed anti inflammatory? .I do very well on the inflammatory med plaquinil with no side effects, for 4 yes now.. I failed all RA medications.
  • Posted

I'm sorry, correction.. I failed all "other" RA medications..doing well on plaquinil and 5 mg prednisone every other day.
  • Posted

I took sulfazalazine for about 7 years with no side effects to speak of? I know I was one of the lucky ones in that respect!

I was and still am dead against taking methotrexate for verious reasons most of which are to do with the toxicity of the drug and the potential chance of liver damage (which is a real risk that's why they asses you so much while on it) but the main reason I chose not to take methotrexate and chose sulfazalazine was the fact that I am still of child bearing age and taking methotrexate would result in terrible problems if I were to become pregnant.

So in my opinion sulfazalazine was the right choice for me and my life and it was a good choice as it turns out at the time.

I'm currently not on any medication with a view that while I'm well and coping without meds I can be drug free which has got to be good for my body - but I'm well aware that I may have to try another drug in the future should I have another flare of which I've had 2 severe ones in 9 years. But methotrexate would always be my last last resort!

The injections are like little miracles for a while aren't they? but as you say you can not take them forever - unfortunately!

I hope you get the answers you and your sister are looking for, and that she gets some meds that are right for her soon!

Good luck 

kat x

• Posted

Thank you for that, and all who replied....My sister first went on Plaquinil, which had no affect on her pain whatsoever...or side affects!...so I hope if you have to try it...it works for you....it`s a minefield finding what helps the pain, and not having side affects.  The only consolation  with these drugs there are regular blood tests....so can keep an eye on what`s going on!!....good luck....and thanks again everybody..
  • Posted

By the way forgot to say I took 18 months of minicin which is an antibiotic which seems to have worked well for me but my next step would be plaquinil which is what cheria is on if I had to try something else?

Kat x

• Posted

Hi Linda, I take 25mg Methotrexate weekly, 6 x 500mg sulfasalazine and 2x 200mg hydroxychloriquine per day..... I can only speak for myself, but I haven't had any problems so far and I've been taking this for 41/2 years... My only down side is fatigue, which comes and goes.

all the best, Don

• Posted

Wow, I`m always impressed with people that can take such high dose of meds, and not have side affects....my sister only took two Methotrexate (15mg) and was extremely ill....and 4 weeks later, is still feeling the affects.....just goes to show why doctors try us on different things....we are all so different......keep taking the pills as they say, if it works for you!  Thanks again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.