Sulfazaline seems to have stopped working 😟

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any improvement on sulfazaline I've been taking it since sept 2015 things seemed to improve for a while but for the last year it feel like I'm back to square one with pain in hands, feet and chest. Doctor looked at scans of my feet only and decided nothing needs changing this was June 2016 and not heard anything since. Also got awful tinnitus and developed irratable bowel.

thank you for taking the time to read. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Susan can you find a different docor? Whoever you have should

be more empathetic.But if you can't change,let your Dr know

that living in pain is not your idea of living,it's counter productive since

pain and inflammation is not a good cycle to be stuck in.My husband

has ra and takes many meds to control.Have you tried a bioligic?

It does take many ra'ers time to find the right cocktail of meds to

work.It took my husband about 3 years.He started off with a severe

case.Your Dr should be concerned enough to find the right mix

for you regardless of not seeing anything.I'm sure others will

add their thoughts to your question so hang in there.Gentle hugs...

• Posted

Hi Tory thanks for the reply, think I need to be more assertive at the next appointment like you say pain and inflammation is definitely not a good cycle to be in I used to enjoy exercising but it's become unbearable nowadays which isn't good for the body or the mind. Feeling very sorry for myself is not helping so going to give the hospital a call tomorrow. 

• Posted

Yeaaaa smile just for the record,I'm not as assertive at times

either but I too live with chronic pain having fibro and

possible polymyalgia.It's not living when we suffer and

it's ok to be down in the dumps at times.It happens.Main

thing is though is to recognize it and get it behind you.

Depression is part of that icky cycle.Hope it goes well tomorrow

• Posted

Not sure if it's a combination of meds which help.Am on steroids etc too.Think hydroxychlorine helped me more. I still in immense pain. One hand can't use at all some days.

Am surprised your feet were scanned and he made decision. When assessed for different meds my feethe were never considered. Lots of pain doctor says is fibro with me.

I have tinnitus too.It's amazing how many people on here get this with our conditions

• Posted

Thanks for the reply frances its RA for me feet and hands so far but have RA + OA in my feet I also hear lots of people with tinnitus too my doctor said its a side effect from naproxen also from sulfazaline nothing done about it so just another condition to live with. Sorry your in so much pain I often wonder how on earth this happened. 
  • Posted

Hello Susan,

Sulfasalazine worked well for me back in 2003-2005 when I had palindromic rheumatism, which went into complete remission in 2005, so I stopped taking the medication. Then in spring of 2014 I came down with a rather severe case of rheumatoid arhtritis. Tried Sulfasalazine again, but did not affect the RA. Rheumatologist started me on Methotrexate pills, which I did not tolerate well, so switched to injections. Methotrexate worked quite well until I had to go off of it for ten days due to surgergy last October. So I began Enbrel 50 mg injections once a week along with Methotrexate injections once a week also. Rheumatologist had me reduce Methotrexate by 0.1 cc each week then had me stop, this was a six week process. Then ten days later, due to lower arm, wrist and hand pain, restarted at 10 mg each week instead of the 15 mg I was on.

I am finally losing the pain after two weeks of restarting Methotrexate, but it is still present. Sometimes treating RA and other autoimmune diseases is a guessing game. If you are still having a lot of pain, which undoubtedly compromises our quality of life, some other type of medication should be pursued.

Let me know how it goes for you,

Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.