sumatriptan

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking sumatriptan for about 3 months ,as needed. Now my blood pressure has gone up which is a side effect of the medication. Has anyone else had this happen?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello there. How do you know your bp went up as a result of sumatriptan? I am taking sumatriptan for the last 8 years and this was never issue for me. I would have higher blood pressure the days when I have migraine but it goes back to normal once the migraine attack is over.
    • Posted

I don't know if it's from med.I had bp taken a couple of times just as I started suma. and it was normal. After using it for a while, about once a week bp is up. Neurologist said stop taking it and monitor my bp to see if it is the cause.

• Posted

How often do you have the attacks and how long do they last? How many tablets do you take per attack on average?

Also, how did you find out your bp was up? Just wondering was it your neurologist asked you to keep an eye on it before they put you on sumatriptan?

Was the bp taken during migraine attack or not? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see the full picture.

• Posted

Usually 1 tablet but last attack I needed 2. I was at a drs. appt when nurse took my blood pressure is was elevated. Same thing with an appt. I had a month earlier.My neurologist asked me to keep an eye on it after I let him know it was up. BP has never been a problem for me I generally run about 110/80. I am also on amitriptyline so i don't know if my body is reacting to these

• Posted

You are lucky that your headaches go after 1 tablet... I take up to 4 x 100mg during one attack which lasts 72hrs...

How high was your blood pressure?

When did you start taking amitryptilyne? Not sure what condition you are taking it for, jut wondering is it for anxiety because then your blood pressure could be elevated from the actual stress too. That's what has happened to me

From av 120/80 my blood pressure went up to 154/99. That's the highest it peaked to! But during migraine attack my blood pressure is also up to 140/90 on average. And that's before medications.

Defo keep an eye on the blood pressure but I would also look into the other med you are taking. Or possible interctions between them. Both rise serotonin levels in your blood. I would run it through the doctor again as I was put onto Sertraline before and I was told I can mix Sertraline and Sumatriptan, but then I was told otherwise by pharmacist as it can lead to serotonin syndrome (when there is too much serotonin in your bloodstream), esp with the dosage I am taking. I ended up taking only 1 sertraline tablet and I'm back to taking sumatriptan only.

I think it's important you check your blood pressure on a daily basis and have a journal of them so you know how it changes umder different circumstances and before and after meds.

• Posted

Wow thats exactly how my bp reacted.I am on amitrip. for ongoing dizziness that is part of my aura and neurologist thinks I have anxitey,which I agree with. I am a very tense person and I am sure that isn't helping.

• Posted

Were you put on amitrip. for anxiety or dizziness? How long are you on it for?

Do you take any painkillers when your aura kicks in? I know people benefit from taking either paracetamol or ibuprofen as soon as their aura kicks in and that helps massively in reducing later attack or fully prevents it. I have no aura, I get full blown attacks straight away sad

Just trying to think now what is the most beneficial for you - curing migraines or anxiety. Do you find amitip. any good for your anxiety? I am currentlt on beta blockers for anxiety, but I know drs give them to ppl with migraines. Maybe that would be smtg to consider? Talk to your dr, maybe you can kill 2 birds with one stone?

How long do you suffer from migraines for? Is it somehow related to your anxiety timewise? I noticed since I have anxiety my headaches are way more often sad

• Posted

Oh and forgot to say that beta blockers also lower blood pressure so work for 3 things: migraines, anxiety and bp smile
    • Posted

Amitrip. is for both. I usually take an ibuprofen with sumatrip. it seems to work better.I have been on it since July. If you putĀ  ,vestibular migraine tina, in the search box on you tube I experience all the same things as this women.
    • Posted

Oh I'm sorry to hear that sad Sounds really bad sad

I think keeping a bp dairy could help. I think maybe you should speak to your dr the next time you see them about your concern as I have a feeling that it might be the interaction between those 2 meds. I never had issues with sumatriptan raising my blood pressure, at least not when I am I not on it.. but everyone is different..

• Posted

Amitrip raises Norad, which is far more significant in BP control than serotonin.
    • Posted

Hi Ben. That is definitely true. Beta blockers wouldnt be the first choice to treat high bp. The problem here is that there is also is migraines involved and since sumatriptan and amitrip both raise serotonin levels, there is a risk of the interactions between them being severe. We don't know why the author has high blood pressure - if it is because of the anxiety then beta blockers can help a lot without interaction with sumatriptan. We have to look at the case as a whole and I think neurologist should asses again what combination of meds would be the best and which issue is the biggest problem. If it is anxiety causing the bp spikes then it's the anxiety that needs to be tackled more cause when the anxiety goes down then bp will too. I know it on my own example.

When will you be able to see your dr postaldogg?

• Posted

I contacted his office on Fri. Nurse said he wanted me to stop sumatrip. and see if he wanted to see me before my next scheduled appt. I guessing I might hear from them tomorrow.Everything always happens on the weekend you know.Checked bp at the grocery store pharmacy  today it was down some but not where it should be.We'll get a handle on it eventually.

• Posted

I agree with you. I think amitip needs to go rather than sumatriptan. And i agree propranolo would seem the logical alternative - if she hasnt already been put on that.
    • Posted

That's great you heard from them. Hopefully it will all normalise when you drop sumatriptan. I know what you mean, it's always the weekends😒 Keep me posted what they say as it would be interesting to know. You will get there, no doubt about that!! It is sometimes a bit hard to get the right medication and people need to try one or 2 or even more but when they find the right thing they're home smile Best of luck and stay in touch!!

• Posted

Thanks It's nice to be able to get feedback from others in the same boat

• Posted

We all are/have been there so defo good to know you are not alone! smile We're here to support ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.