Sumatriptan And codeine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone

I've been having migraines for about 3years now ever since the pregnancy of my daughter. While I was pregnant I didn't bother going to the doctor as I I didn't want to take medicine so I just slept it off.

Now 3 years on they are a lot less frequent but a lot stronger. They normally come on in the afternoon and last a very long time I have been prescribed sumatriptan 50mg to take as soon as I get an attack and take again 2hrs later if I'm still suffering this has not been doing much at all I end up sleeping through the day and someone has to come look after my kids for me. Today I went to the doctor and told him it's not been working and he's given me codeine too I have taken 50mg sumatriptan and 2 codeine and thank god it has worked a charm however I feel so numb and it's a lot harder to move my body is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Well 2 60mg codiene is the max dose and this can leave you feeling sleepy and generally feel out of it.  I suggest you speak to your dr and see if you can just take 30mg codiene and take 2 50m sumatriptan, this should be better as you can take 2x100mg in 24hours.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

Sorry, should have made that more clear.  You can take 100mg of sumatriptan in 24hours.  Which will work better than taking just 50mg of sumatriptan and 60mg of codeine.  BUT talk to your dr about this first
    • Posted

Hello so I just checked the codeine and I've been pescribed 15mg tablets and I have taken 30mg plus 50mg sumatriptan. To be fair it's totally worked and I feel totally fine now which has never happened before.

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.