sumatriptan injections

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi iam mark and have suffered from cluster headaches for past 10 yrs .I get they every 6 months or so and last between 2-8 weeks getting about 7 attacks in 24hrs ,i have been taking sumatriptan tablets for the past 5yrs but  recently asked my doctor for the injections as i heard they act quicker on the body .I can only say  "thank god" within 2-5mins of me taking the injection my pain has gone  were the tablets took around 10-15mins ,we all know how bad the pain is and to cut the pain period down that quick i highly reccomend them

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the information. I'm now thinking the awful headaches I had were clusters. They were not the same as migraines I've had most of my life. I'll keep your info and if they return (I so hope not!) I'll have something to ask the dr for. 
  • Posted

Hi Mark, I too am a cluster headache sufferer have been getting these horrendous headaches for over 30 years now. Every two years for up to eight months at a time I can have daily as many as 10 in a 24 hour period. I can honestly say sumatriptan injections have changed my life certainly taken away the fear of going out or even sleeping. The best advice I ever had was to split my injections. Half a vial is enough to stop the headache thus in effect each injection then will stop two headaches.
    • Posted

hi pax  i so agree with you the injections have changed my life  and as you say i can actually plan a day out or not worry too much about  the attacks ,I went for some years at first not diagnosed and was perscribed normal pain killers which actually make  cluster headaches worse,they call cluster headaches the suicide headache and for anyone who suffers from them they know that is correct they use to get me in so much despair and depression but as you say i cant stress how different my life is now taking the injections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.