Sumatriptan shortage?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help. I was prescribed zolmatriptan for the passed 8 years and it worked really well for me. I moved house and had to change GP. My new GP won't prescribe zolmatriptan because it's expensive but switched me to sumatriptan. I've only been on it for a month but it seems to work. This week I went to pick up my prescription and pharmacist said there is a shortage of sumatriptan (as in he couldn't get any). My GP won't prescribe the zolmatriptan...... Any idea or suggestions please? Have started getting a migraine in the last hr, .... Visual crowns, tunnel vision and pins and needles in my face. Thank you in advance

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I asked this question only yesterday about triptans and was told by my neurologist that all triptans are basically the same, so with that in mind naratriptan you can try under the name naramig

If your doctor isn't giving you alternatives find another I think 6 or more triptans do exist that basically do the same

Where are you based may I ask?

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the suggestions. Am in Cornwall, am not finding my new GP surgery that helpful but will ask again for alternatives.
  • Posted

I found a doc that prescribed me orphenadrine citrate 100mg smallest dose, took afew days to get over the dizziness.... however, I got rid of my headaches after trying different things for 6 years, do u want to know what I did??? vitamin a, d, e and k... vitamin a and d fom cod liver oil pills, vitamin e a few times a week because it thins the blood if u take it too often u"ll get broken bloodvessles in ur eye and vitamin k from a probiotic. also, vitamin b12 in liquid form called methylcobalamin... not cyanocobalamin! and folate... not folic acid, folate... it took a few weeks
    • Posted

Thank you, will look into all of that. Have you found that this works as a preventative then? That would be brilliant
    • Posted

There not for that there to stop the attack once u feel it start, 

I've tried most preventatives and none really work for me other than methysurgide which has now been discontinued 

Amatrptalyne works a little if taken before bed I wake fresher 

• Posted

Hi, I was wondering if the list of all the vitamins worked as a preventative because Susan put that it took a few weeks to work? Amatriptalyne made me really hyper active within 20 minutes of taking it, wasn't good! I managed to buy 2 sumatriptan (imigran) tablets over the counter yesterday evening and they've worked but cost £9 just for the 2. I don't understand how there can be a shortage of them in the nhs but the same pharmacy has them to sell. Never mind. Will try and talk to GP tomorrow. Have googled triptans like you suggested, found some really interesting information, so thank you for that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.