Sunburn and Methotrexate

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have just started on methotrexate.  The packet says protect yourself from sunshine - just wondering if anyone has experience of effects of sun when you are on methotrexate?  I understand that if it works then I could be on it for years and years, and we live in New Zealand where the sun is extremely burning anyway because of the southern hemisphere ozone hole (this is a real scientific thing in case it sounds strange to you).  We are a family of surfers (ha ha not me any more :-(  )  and outdoor people so I'm really keen to hear from anyone who knows about this from their personal experience.  Thank you.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm on MIT too. How many mg are you taking ? I do read about the side effects abd we should avoid the sun. I do not want to take risk and will try to avoid the sun as much as I could . I'm also in a hot country so it's hard that we can totally avoid it. However, we should try to take care as having this sickness is bad enough .,,,,
    • Posted

I have only just started but will be on 20mg soon.  Maybe more in the end?  How about you?  It is just a bit sad making all these changes isn't it.  But we are lucky to have something to help.
    • Posted

I started on 7.5mg since I was diagnosed in mar 16. On the next day I will take the folic acid to reduce the side effects. I was so depressed when I found out I Hv this horrible sickness. Am trying to deal with it physically and mentally. It's not easy. I hope there is a cure one day ....
  • Posted

Oh dear. I've been on MTX since January and I spend as much tine as possible outside. I use 80 SPF sunblock. So far I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.
    • Posted

Good to hear!  Maybe everyone's different.  Apparently some people react with a bad red rash and/or quickly burn. 
    • Posted

I burnt quickly I was only out 20 mins and it wasn't even that hot but OMG I really burnt my upper chest and neck I will wear a high factor all the time now
  • Posted

HI Sonya,

what a beautiful country New Zealand. I always wanted to see your country but traveling is out of the question for me now.

MTX has it been helping your RA?

also about your question and sun exposure while on MTX. I would try and find the highest number of sunscreen when out side. 

I take a bio drug for my RA which I have been on for 6 months it has helped slow down the progression of RA. Helped with pain and can do more things. 

We have high sun exposure in the northern hemisphere in summer where I live in the US. 

I stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day and do what I need during the early am and evening and wear #35 sunscreen hat long sleeves & light weight clothing . 

Cheers to good weather in your neck of the woods. confused

• Posted

Thanks, yes.  I have only just started MTX so no idea if it will work.  All that sun advice is do-able of course.  Does the bio drug mean you need to be careful of sun too?
    • Posted

Hi Sonja,

reply to your questions.

[Sun Exposure and RA] 

Drugs that treat RA may cause you to be sensitive to the sun and may cause bad sunburns or rashes so always be keen on any sun exposure.

Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) make you sun sensitive. Naproxen makes you more sun sensitive than ibuprofen. Celecoxib can cause rashes.

Methotrexate does not cause sunburn. It irritates areas where you have had sunburns in the past, so it's generally a precautionary advisory.

More research is needed on biologic agents to determine their effect on sun sensitivity. They are so new to the market. I have olive complexion and I still burn and wear sun screen.

Some sunscreens are more effective than others. Look for ones with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. My doc said they are more effective.

Prevention is key. Slop on some sunscreen 30 Sp at the very least,  slap on a hat, slip on a long sleeved shirt, seek some shade.

I'm  not one that has ever been able to sit still on the beach long enough for a tan. I'd rather be fishing on a boat. Now there's even more danger due to double exposure from sunshine and reflection from water. I have have a serious burn when young, so sick from water reflection and sun exposure. Definately learned the hard way. 

• Posted

Hi sonys78375

I didn't realise that was a side effect, so another one to ruin my coming up holiday to Cyprus lol so that's hardly any drink plus sitting in the shade. Can't believe the possible side effects with methotrexate it's such a list isn't it, I gave just took two lots now and go to the hospital tomorrow for blood texts and check ups to make sure it's not effecting me too much I guess, I have felt sick and very tired on it over the past few days, how have you been feeling?

• Posted

Aw, Cyprus will be great because you can lol.  :-)You sound like right about my stage of meds.  One week ahead.  I've not really been too bad on the MTX, but only one dose and doubles in four weeks so won't speak too soon.  Actually pain has been worse for a few days but that can't be related.  I've been told that there's a 60% chance it will work for me (for any individual) and if it does then that won't be til 8-12 weeks after starting.  Is that what you've been told too?  Sorry to hear you've had a rough few days.  Maybe your body will adjust over time? 
  • Posted

I'm in OZ and on MTX as well, yes, you will burn easier.   I have a bald pate and burn very easily now so always wear a hat.   Was a surfer in my younger days, wouldn't think of it now!
    • Posted

I'm in the uk and had about 5 days of warm decent days so far this summer and apparently the longest day yesterday so it's not going to effect me unless I go on holiday lol
    • Posted

Yeah thank you Tony.  I'd come around to that.  So many changes to get used to.  Do you mean your RA would stop you surfing?  or just not keen?  Is the MTX working well for you?
  • Posted

I have had RA for 11 years now and been on MTX for most of that time.

I spend much of my time in a tropical climate but stay out of the sun as much as possible. I don't wear sunscreen though, even though I am fair skinned.

As I cycle a bit I notice my arms, which are the most exposed, get fairly tanned during the sunny periods, but I don't test it for long enough to have noticed any particular problems.

I never knew that about MTX and am curious to know what they expect over-exposure to sun while on it can cause? What are the supposed side-effects?

• Posted

They say much easier to burn, or also you can get a rash, like a (allergic) reaction to the sun?  I am glad to hear that you cycle and that you are on and off the MTX, do you get better for periods of time?  How active can you be nowadays compared to before RA?   I'm only swimming right now but hope the MTX will do more than steroids and NSAIDs.  I suppose if you tan easier then you are protected more.  Would vary person to person and skin type.
    • Posted

No burning and no rash. I really don't think I'm in the sun for long enough for it to affect me.

As for cycling.... I actually find it easier to cycle than to walk when I'm having a flare. The knees can't take the weight-bearing exercise. But that's the beauty of the bicycle, It carries your weight for you. You just need to pedal.

Swimming is great too, for the same reason.

I'm not off MTX. I still take 10mg a week.

• Posted

Is MYX the only medication that you are on?
    • Posted

No. I take a minute amont of prednisolone (1.5mg daily now), the 10mg MTX, a heap of supplements.... and most important, I did a course of the biologic Rituximab in March, so expect to be pretty much pain-free for another four months...
    • Posted

Just hopping in here Light to ask what supplements you take and if you had to check with rheumy before taking them. I am in much the same situation as you with Rituximab due again in July. Can't wait as beginning to feel the effects of it wearing off, it makes such a difference. On 25 mg mxt, just finished long taper off prednisolone. I also just stopped sulfasalazine at nurse s suggestion so don't know if increase of joint pain is due to that or Rituximab being due. Hey ho!
    • Posted

Hi rowbirdie

I think it's immune boosting supplements you can't take with methotrexate I take lots of other things though, do we ever know if they really work? Don't know, but they make me feel better just by taking them. Wish there was a cure for RA you would think in this day and age that there would be really

• Posted

It might still be popped back up tomorrow after moderation. But if not, just write a few main ones you think are helpful. I presume you didn't link to a website as moderators don't like those . Sorry to put you to all that workfrown
    • Posted

No I didn't. But I mentioned one brand, as it doesn't have any other name. One of those American herbals mixes.

Ok, so here goes again without that brand:

Fish oil, astaxanthine, Vits C, B-compl, E, D3, Multi, selenium, shilajeet, cod liver oil, calcium, magnesium, pantesine, folinic acid, DHEA, pantothenic acid, krill oil...

Those are the ones I can remember! They were prescribed by my nutritionist to offset the toxic effects of the drugs. My rheumy was only intersted in the fish oil, but when he saw my list he burst out laughing, but didn't approve or disapprove. He now teases me to other doctors as being the one who takes huge amounts of supplements.

I also cannot know what kind of effect they're having, but my reports seem to continue to be good.

• Posted

I've been on MTX since December and it's kept me nauseous and hot and cold now my best friend wants to get me out of the house and go to the beach but I'm afraid to get sunburnt I'm fair skinned and stay inside all the time because I have back and health issues but I do miss having a day out and I have a 2 year old I know he would love the beach ?? what sunscreen should I get and should I get a hat or umbrella or should I even go 😔 I just miss being normal.....

• Posted

Hi Heather!  Oh you poor thing!  I definitely think you should go to the beach with your little boy.  After all the warnings, I was unable to stay out of the sun because that's just our lifestyle, and I truly didn't notice any difference.  And I was on 20mg MTX plus plaquenil which is also supposed to cause sun sensitivity.  I am fair skinned so of course I would burn anyway but the usual suncream/hat/shirt stuff worked as usual.  All the best for your health.  I am off mtx now due to bad side effects, so my future is a bit uncertain, but it definitely worked really well.  x

• Posted

I told my rheumy that I wished there would be a cure, and he said," not me, I said what!!!. He said cuz he would be out of a job! Not nice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.