Sunlight and chronic fatigue

Posted , 11 users are following.

Whenever I go out into the sun or on a tanning bed, my symptoms become a lot worse and this lasts for about 2 days.

My eyes become very droopy, I become very fatigued and unmotivated.

I first noticed this in Spain and thought it was just dehydration but after the same effect occuring multiple times after being exposed to sunlight or uv Ray's I know it can't be dehydration.

The last time I was effected was after spending 6 minutes on a tanning bed (to test my theory) and sure enough right afterwords I felt very very tired and exhausted,

My theory is the uv Ray's kill bacteria on my skin and this causes a die off effect, or the vitamin d is stimulating my immune system. Regardless it's very worrying for me and I am afraid I will have to avoid the sun this summer (I have only had chronic fatigue since April 2015).

Anyway, does anyone have any similar experiences with sunlight?

Lewis

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Tbh I always find that sunlight makes me feel much better.

Sorry I can't help

June

• Posted

Although l cant tolerate it being hot and can feel ill if l sit in unshaded heat above l5min, l generally feel better when its warmer weather and fine with sunshine, physically and mentally. l hate persistent rain and damp smoggy conditions, this winter though very mild as had a lot of damp smog, more than lve ever seen before, just looking out daily at hills on valley side, more shrouded in smog than clear, as with today, makes me feel snuffly from perenial rhinitus, more tired, achy, l hate it., Some feel worse in sunshine due to seasonal rhinitus, but that shouldnt be affected by tanning, but guess sunshine can drain some, were all different.  
  • Posted

holiday abroad to it to me, and the water, i always get ill with going swimming , either in uk or abroad, its weird
  • Posted

Yes,  I've had this problem for several years. Family members don't understand how badly it affects me so going on a sunshine holiday is impossible.
  • Posted

I have the same issue!! The sunlight just makes me soooo fatigued and weak. 

People have told me to go out side and sit in the sun. But if I do I just get worse. 

Which dosn't make sense as sunlight is supposed to make you feel better. I just feel more physical and emotional exhaustion if anything.

• Posted

Hi all.

Thanks for your feedback(s).

Just an update as I further tested this yesterday by spending 2 hours in a spa - which included a hot tub, sauna, steam room etc.

I did this as I wanted to see if it was the heat that caused my symptoms to exasburate or the uv Ray's as I see no other factors to consider.

Anyway, my symptoms remained the same after all of this heat for 2 hours (they did not exasburate) as a pose to 6 minutes on a sun bed which made me feel pretty knocked out for 2 days as I mentioned in my first post.

So to summarise, heats not the issue, uv rays are, for me.

I think some of us may have chronic fatigue for different reasons, for example I know if I eat garlic or another natural anti microbe / anti fungal like coconut oil, my symptoms will become worse temporarily much like how I react to sun. Pherhaps that's why some of us do not react to the sun. Who knows.

Anyway hopefully others will be able to find this post useful in the future.

Lewis

• Posted

By the way, the reaction of a temporarily increase in symptoms is known as a 'die off' effect. It is named this as many bacteria all die at once and as a result release there toxins into the blood stream, so whatever symptoms they may be causing, becomes worse temporarily. Might be worth looking into.
    • Posted

Hi

This is happening to me also. The last two years since getting CFS I cannot go out in the sun. Approx 24 hours later I start with fatigue, head in vice type feeling, anxiety goes through the roof. Takes a couple of days for it to settle. No definitive answer to this problem as yet. Maybe due to ANS (auto nervous syndrome)?

Going away for 3 weeks in summer and dreading it! 😞

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this. I often wonder if it's the heat or the U.V. rays for me, so I should try a similar experiment. 

• Posted

I have this as well. If I’m in a heated/sunny area or in a cold/dry area for at least 15 min - 1 hour, I get very bad flares where I can barely change positions in bed, havesevere walking issues or can barely type if sat all. It all depends on how long I’m in an area where I can’t control the temperature or sunlight. My eyes also suffer with severe light sensitivity also.

• Posted

Yes. You seem very smart. Adderall helps but then there's the skin and eye reaction 

• Posted

I get this feeling just walking outside for exercise. When I exercise indoors I don’t get it though. I keep hydrated so I don’t think I’m dehydrated.  I am wondering if my melatonin production is occurring earlier. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.