Super nervous about sphincterotomy.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I’ve been dealing with an anal fissure since I had a baby about 4 months ago and the pain and spasms are brutal some days. I saw a colorectal surgeon 6 weeks ago and she prescribed me diltiazem cream and a strict diet plan and told me to return in 4 weeks. There’s been no change in pain and at the last check up she said the fissure was still there and I had developed a skin tag. So after telling me that she suggested surgery and I did set up a date to do that at the end of the month. I am so scared. I want this all to be over I am SO sick of all the pain and anxiety but I’m worried that I’m jumping the gun by getting surgery and not allowing enough time for it to heal itself. I read so many stories of people suffering for years or terrible reoccurrences after healing and I don’t want that but I can’t help but to think I’m taking a risk by doing this. I questioned my surgeon on her success rate and she has done many many of the procedures with 0 fecal incontinance issues and 4% people reported having trouble holding farts back. I’m only 25 and not ready to have something that could impact me for life. Any advise or personal success stories would be appreciated. Thank you. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I’m sorry your in pain. I’ve had a year of absolute hell too! I had Botox which did nothing at all to help. I had to have surgery because it got so bad I couldn’t do another week without it. It still been 3 months to finally have only a small amount of pain. If you need surgery then have it. I had no issues at all after surgery except the fissure and surgery wounds still sore for few months, certainly no worse than before surgery. I would suggest if you don’t need it don’t do it and try the cream and baths as long as u can, but if the pain is crazy bad like mine was,  get it done ASAP. The surgery is not that bad at all. Also I’m told it is reversible if  incontinence is a bad issue, which is very rare. I’ve notice not one bit of different at all in that regard. Not even a sneaky fart!  Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hey thank you very much for your reply. When this thing started I was in a lot of pain mostly just sitting and laying down and when I started changing my diet and trying to treat it with nitroglycerin it improved slightly. After seeing my GP I wanted to see a colorectal surgeon as well and she prescribed another cream and diet plan. And I tried to eat plenty of fruits and veggies everyday along with my fiber supplement but I was still have trouble softening stools enough. I’m a breastfeeding mother so I know I have to drink crazy amounts of water and I feel like I could do better about that too. I’m just so stuck on what to do. I am in pain during and after bowel movements for a good 6-8 hours but not debilitating pain just really uncomfortable pain. Of course since I saw a surgeon I’m just wondering if she just wants to cut but her success rate is impressive. I’m just ready to get back to not worrying about this so much but terrified of after the surgery and if I am doing this too soon and not giving my body enough time to heal. I guess I just need someone to help

me decide what to do. I have 2 more weeks until the surgery and they told me if I want to cancel I can. 

• Posted

Hi, 

It’s a hard decision. If your not in too much pain, maybe try different creams heaps of salt baths, heaps of fibre. I truly believe stress is a big factor in healing and possibly fissures in the first place for some people..would be hard being a new mum in pain too. But certainly a major positive in your life! I tried a cream call dr wheatgrass I think it’s called. Read about it online. I think you should try it. Also lubricant before bm is a good idea too! If nothing helps, seriously the surgery is easy really. Waste of time stressing about it, get it done if you need it. I think it’s the way to go if you are in pain and not healing. My choice would be to have it done even if someone told me no doubt I would heal in 3 months, there was no way I could have made it any longer!! Also best not to take any drugs for pain relief if you don’t have too. They can’t help much. The number 1 best pain relief was a very hot wheatbag. I couldn’t of made it without them!!! Good luck

• Posted

i had LIS two years ago this past June 12 days later i was 100% and have been that way since. the worst part was thinking about all the time i lost over the previous 12 years fighting the beast because i was scared to trust someone enough to let them work on me. if your doctors ratings are good then go with it. after the spincter is damaged its really hard for it to make a full recovery. you need the pressure gone so the sore can heal! so two years ago i wrote a post on here called LIS boom! its been a while but im fairly certain that was the title. would be dated june or july of 2016. you should try and find it. best decision ive ever made. checked into hospital at 6:30 am and was on my couch before noon!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! That makes me feel a lot better. I cant even imagine having this horrible thing for 12 years. Im so ready for this to be over with and to move on with life. Now just to work through the anxiety of post op. I will try to look for your post, thank you.

• Posted

is your sphincterotomy done ,please explain each nd every little problem u faced if your op is done ,pls keep us updated ,wish ya a successful recovery👍👍☺️☺️

• Posted

hey kellie ,how was your experience with sphincterotomy ,please share it so that others can gather some courage to fight this beast,please it would of great help for us 🤕🤕🤕🤕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.