Super path hip replacement63

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone

Been waiting 38 weeks now and in a lot of pain and have diffulty walking

i am due to have a right total hip replacement on June 10th

my surgeon has booked me in for the tissue sparing Super Path method of  hip replacement

Has anyone had a hip replaced using this method. 

I am a very active 63 year old lady with a busy lifestyle and work full time so I need to get back to normal asap

I understand recovery is much quicker with this method

i hope someone can help me

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well now is time to slow down during your recovery after the operation. I know the feeling but waiting for 38 weeks that's a lot of Wait time.

I wasn't trying to get the operation anytime soon. I'm 10 months post op and feel great I'm 57 going strong thanks God.

I wish you all the best in your operation and recovery time.

tip for a fast recovery, sleep, exercise and eating high protein foods. Soy is high protein, chicken and fish. I love steaks that's high protein many stay away from it bit that helped me recover a little faster than expected.

God Bless.

• Posted

Hi there

Thankyou for getting back to me and glad your recovery is going well

Thank you for your advice and positive words. Good to have some feedback from someone that has had the op already

Kind regards

• Posted

Hi Pansycat

That's a very long time to wait when yr in so much pain! I don't know anything about the tissue saving way of doing it. There's a couple of threads about it if you look through the posts.

The very best of luck to you for the 10th

• Posted

Hi there

Thank you for your response. Had a reply from someone who has had the Super Path op very recently - all good positive stuff

Thanks for your good wishes

• Posted

Hi Pansycat52,

I am surprised how long you have to wait for your op. I read a lot about different method of THR, because I have to have one urgently as well. Super path is probably the best method, because it has the least chance for complication, the recovery time is very fast. Very few surgeon do it in the states and in Australia, at least what I can find out via internet.

Would you be so kind to let me know your surgeon's name and the place where he practices. I would be very glad to find someone in Europe who is able to do it! Your op time is very soon, I wish you the best. I would not worry if I could get super path THR. smile

• Posted

Hi

I had a SuperPath Approach THR 13 days ago.  It is being trialled in my area, since October 2014, although it has been available in the US for years.  I didn't know I was going to have it until I was in hospital and met my consultant just before going down to theatre - I now know that I was very lucky to have had this.  The technique is minimally invasive, so the incision is half the size and the muscles are parted during the op rather than cut as usually happens in hip ops.  Consequently, recovery is quicker.  I asked the physios if they noticed any difference between people who had the SuperPath Approach and normal hip ops and they nodded vigourously.  I went to have my sutures removed today and the waterproof dressing removed - I was dreading it , to be honest.  The nurse took the dressing off and couldn't believe it - no sutures to remove, they were disolving ones which just came away with the dressing.  No discomfort at all!  She even called the Practice Nurse to have a look because she had never seen such small well-healed wound from a hip op!  I'm back to see the Physio team tomorrow - I expect they will move me onto sticks rather than crutches, because when I am at home, I am only using one crutch, and then not all the time.  I only take the two when I go outside, and that is more to keep other people at a safe distance from me.  I don't know where you are in the country - I had mine done in Rugby St Cross Hospital which is part of the UHCW NHS Trust.  I was the only one on my unit to have this technique - all the other hip ops (and there were at least 10 others whilst I was in the female ward) were normal.  Still don't know what the criteria was for selection.  I'm 55 and had OA.  I think you should jump at the chance to have this technique. (but not if it hurts to do so!)

all the best

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Thanks for your reply and I am delighted that you are doing well!

I am having my op at UHCW,. I would have had it done at Rugby out of choice, but due to a benign heart irregularity, it has to be done at Coventry.

My surgeon is Michael Cronin and I felt very confident when he explained this procedure to me at my initial consultation. I got the impression, rightly or wrongly that if you are a 'younger' patient and very active, that the Super Path is more appropriate.

Your words have really encouraged me - I am so looking forward to getting back to normal, no pain and mobile! My problem is osteo arthritis as well.

I was due to have my op last Wednesday, but it was cancelled on the morning of the op - I was devastated, having waited so long and got all geared up for it.

How long were you in hospital for and did the pain from the OA go straight away? Do you still have bending  and crossing legs restrictions? I have heard that this is not the case with Super Path.

So glad to get this positive feedback - let me know how you progress

Kind regards Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda

Mr Cronin was one of the two consultants operating on me, although I didn't get to meet him.  I was told that the protocol meant that two consultants carried out the procedure.  I went into hospital at 11.30am to have an up-to-date x-ray, as my last one was done in September 2014 and I went down to theatre around 12.45pm.  I could have made a break for freedom on Saturday afternoon, but I as I was very sleep deprived when I went in (due to the pain), I stayed an extra night as I was a bit dozy when the physios were getting me to climb stairs etc.  So I went home on the Sunday afternoon.  The pain is a funny thing to try and explain, because you get so used to not being able to move in certain ways because it hurts, and then you find that that pain has gone, but you are sore in different ways!  My scar is more towards my bottom, so I had a different soreness, more like I'd run a long way and had got buttock tightness.  I was given the same physio restrictions as everyone else i.e. no bending, no leg crossing etc, although my consultant said the risk of dislocation is very much reduced because the muscles aren't so damaged.  I am seeing the physios tomorrow for my first outpatient appt, so I'll let you know what they say then.  I think maybe they are playing safe with the precautions whilst the trial is underway.   Glad you are feeling a bit more encouraged.  I think the only other thing to think about is the sedation aspect - GA or spinal.  I had a GA, through choice as I'd had two spinals with the birth of my children and didn't want to take any more chances with my spine.  You may not have too many options with your underlying condition, but it is worth researching.

regards

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Linda (again)

Sorry, I neglected to say I went into Hospital on Thursday and came out Sunday pm.

regards

Cheryl

• Posted

Op like that recovery is within weeks not months.

My surgeon only does the posterior approach . in the US they call it anterior approach. Even the number one hospital in NYC wont use that approach. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Hi cheryl

Not sure what anaesthetic I am having - I believe they are deciding on the day

I have had general anaesthetics before and recover well but a lot of people have said they have got on well with the spinal anaesthesia

Does anyone have any info they can share with me?

Regards Linda

regards linda

• Posted

I requested and had a GA, which was a personal preference as I did not want to risk being aware during a spinal and sedation
  • Posted

It sounds great -- I am 10 weeks post op from R THR and might have to have the Left hip done witihin a couple of months - so I am very intersted to read more about it - I am in Holland and hey're probably in the trials as well  - would be nice to have this option ... good luck and lots of strenght these coming weeks -warm hug
  • Posted

Hi Pansycat

My name is Mark from Sydney Aust and I have been on this forum before.

I had a RTHR under the Superpathhip method and in my opinion it's brilliant. I was operated on 30.12.14 was up walking unaided within 2 hrs of op then discharged next morning. Have not needed any aids to walk or had any restriction placed on the use of the hip, ie sleeping dislocation worries etc. My surgeon said trust the new hip it will do whatever the old one did but minus the pain. As others have said as the muscles are not cut but just moved aside the recovery is much quicker. Also the scar is only about 3inches and it's on the front of the hip.

Pity you have had to wait so long but I am sure if my experience is anything to go by you will have no problems. By the way I am 64 and also led a very active life which I am still very much able to do.

All the best

Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark

Great to hear from you

i think the reason I have had to wait so long is that there are so few surgeons at my hospital who do this procedure.

However worth waiting for if the result is as good as you are telling me

I have always been so active so the arthritis has come as a huge shock to me- just cannot wait to be free of the pain and distortion of gait

So pleased that you have had such a good result- Super path certainly seems the way forward. My best wishes for your continued recovery

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.