Super weird reaction to 150mg of amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm on Amitriptyline for depression. I was on 100mg and I went to my doctor and he was surprised to learn that it didn't make me tired at all, and that I was taking it around dinner. He decided to raise the dosage in hopes of reaching a therapeutic level. So last night I took 150mg at like 5:30 like usual. I don't remember much after that besides looking at my boyfriend and telling him I felt like I was on something. I lost most memory from then on. I do know the room was spinning, stationary objects were moving. I couldn't talk, I couldn't THINK. I was just drifting in and out of consciousness. It honestly felt like past overdoses I've experience. What was going on? has anyone else experience that? Why did I not react to the medication at all until 150mg? Should I call my doctor about what i experienced or wait to take it again and see if i react the same. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

that’s high dose you’re taking.  I took similar levels and have spent the last year comingboff the drug. Do you only take it for sleep? These pills, especially at such doses should really be a last case scenario. Trust me, from experience and knowing the withdrawal and damage they do to your body. If they are only for sleep then have you tried anything else.

Meditation before bedtime, no devices, camomile tea etc. It’s shocking how the doctors today only want to prescribe pills for absolutely anything and usually there’s an underling reason why you’re not sleeping.

Sorry if you find this post unhelpful as it doesn’t answer your question but felt the need to reply.

Ed

• Posted

I really appreciate your response. I’m generally fatigued so sleeping is not an issue haha. Thank you for your time though.
  • Posted

Hey there,

I'm currently taking Amitriptyline myself I started at 10mg and honestly I didn't feel tired or sedated. Which is an issue because I'm suffering from anxiety and anxiety related nausea. And I wanted to feel more sedated.

The first night I did not sleep well, and it's been like that for the past few nights. My doctor told me to up he dosage to 20mg, I still don't feel sedated or calmer, so I plan to visit my GP on Monday and see what they suggest.

From what I know Amitriptyline is supposed to be more sedating in higher dosages. Sedation and that feeling of tiredness are known start up side effects. A lot like Mirtazapine. 

I think it's a sign that the Amitriptyline is kicking in and working on your system. If it's too troublesome for you then I would definitely talk to your doctor.

From what I've read the sedation side effect usually lasts for about a week or so. 

Hopefully the Amitriptyline works well for you

• Posted

Oh thank you. I’ll just have time when I take it at night I guess smile
  • Posted

I'm also on 150mg of Amatryptiline and have been for a year. I've never had a reaction that you have had and I think you should mention it to your GP.

I take my dose about 7.30 in the evening. I did get very drowsy both at night and in the morning. Over the months I've found the side effects were reducing and now I don't feel any tiredness. In fact, I was still awake at 03:15 this morning reading. I had lost all notice of time. I have to say, it was quite a thrilling book. I think like most medicines, the body develops a tolerance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.