Supermarket Delivery Services

Posted , 16 users are following.

Wondering in anyone has had experience of supermarket delivery services?

I have been looking at the Ocado website that delivers Waitrose products.  I am wondering how they compare with Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose themselves?  They seem to offer a pretty good range of products.  But, who is the best for actually delivering when they say they will, and delivering what has been ordered?

Obviously, I am thinking of the few weeks post op when I will not be able to drive.

Many thanks,

Susie

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I used Sainsbury's before I could drive, they were great. One hour delivery window, always on time, drivers polite and cheerful, always put items on kitchen top for me. Tried Tesco too, but found problems with their website and gave up.

Whichever shop you choose, happy shopping and speedy recovery!

Alison

• Posted

Our son, who has no car, uses Sainsburys as he says that the website is so much easier to use than Tescos.
  • Posted

I trialled Waitrose and Sainsbury before my op. Waitrose required a higher minimum order of £60 with free delivery. Sainsbury you can get a £1 delivery for £40 spend with delivery at certain times more expensive at others. The delivery of both was acceptable but what you can get depends on which store your delivery is coming from. My waitrose one came from a very small store and didn't have the range I wanted. The sainsbury came from a big store. I have since gone with sainsbury. They will come into the house and put things on work surfaces. I still have this now bagless so help them taking out of boxes. The delivery people are great. They have always come in the allotted hour. I also went for them as with just 2 of us we don't spend that much and have our own veggies so the lower limit was better. I didn't try ocado as for their cheap delivery you had to spend £100. I intend to carry on with deliveries even though physically now  I don't need to as it is so convenient and for something a bit different I just add in a small shop elsewhere.
  • Posted

Also agree that the website in Sainsbury is very user friendly.
  • Posted

Hi all. As most of you have said, being able to have our groceries delivered is a godsend. I've used all except ocado. All have turned up on time within the allocated time. All delivery drivers have been polite and helpful and offer to put shopping in the kitchen. They will take back any of the substitutes or if you don't like a particular expiry date etc. If there is a problem the customer services tel wil refund any items you feel are no good. The only problem is the minimum spend. I would advise choosing the least expensive delivery time to reduce costs. It's brill for the post op period and for when you shouldn't be lugging lots of heavy shopping. Good luck x
  • Posted

Dear Susie, I have been doing my shopping on line for the last 16 years. I don't drive and live alone..I am now in a small village so shopping on line is  a must. I am very happy with Tesco...if anything is wrong they refund with no quibble.. I also shop on line at Waitrose for an elderly friend and they too are excellent.  I have often wondered about Ocardo as well. I will interested in your posts.  When I was first out of hospital the Tesco man helped me put shopping higher up and are always very helpful as are Waitroseto my 92yr old.Once because they were ten minutes late ( usually ring to advise if stuck in traffic etc) and gave my old lady friend a bottle of wine!

​Tesco deliver in an hour slot and Waitrose within a 2 hour slot..sorry don't know about Ocardo.

Cheers Susie..are the the hippie that is in Wiltshire??

Ali 2i

• Posted

Hi Suysie

They all are good in there own way. But when you book your slot make sure you book a late afternoon slot. I find when you book a morning / dinner time slot you tend to get older stock in your shopping and more substitutes.

• Posted

Hi Hailea:

That is a very good point.  Having said that, though, on some occasions, I would be booing a Saturday slot, so that I can get my hands on the newspaper with the TV programmes for the coming week, and the supermarkets do run out of those fairly quickly.  Wondering if it is possible to book the slot on the Friday and specify the Saturday newspaper?  They may not have the facility to do that?

Best.#Susie

• Posted

Hi susie why not just ask your local newsagent to deliver to you for a few weeks till you can get back to normal or ask a friend / neighbour to pick up your paper & mag then you won't be stuck with the shopping 😀
  • Posted

Good Idea !! Also wiltshire Farm foods and oakhouse foods are great many meals for the microwave. Make life as easy as possible for you. Make sure that you have got plenty of helpers. regards Amanda 
    • Posted

Many thanks Amanda:

The reason that I am putting in ready meals and such is that I do not have any helpers  My daughter, who lives in Bath does not drive, and works during the day, will ot be of much assistance at all.  So, Once I am discharged, I am on my own.

I am otherwise fit and healthy, with good upper body strength, and my good leg has good muscle tone.  So, I am hoping that with the convenience of ready meals, etc., for at least the first couple of weeks, I shall be able to cope on my own.

Wonder what other lone dwellers, with no family to speak of, cope?  Cannot rely on neighbours.  Don't know most of  them, and they all work, anyway, the rest simply do not care.

Neighbourliness, went out of the window, years ago.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Susie..As mentioned I am on my own and don 't have children or family nearby and coped alright tho I was very worried about that aspect.  I was kept in hospital for 6 days because I was on my own.  My neighbours were good in ringing but I didn't need to call on them but knew they were there which helped.  I am lucky as neighbours ARE still good.  I am part of a neighbourhood watch too.

​Ali 2

• Posted

Hi Alice:

Six days in hospital is quite a long stay.  I am hoping that they will let me out in three!  Can't put my cat in a cattery, as once I am out, I would have no way of retrieving her until I was fit to drive!  It's all a bit of a nightmare, strategically.

As I mentioned, in a previous posting, other than the bad hip, I am in pretty good shape, so should be able to cope fairly well on my own.  My daughter may be able to get her boyfrend to bring her out here as she doesn't drive - hopeless - just like her Father, who couldn't navigate his way out of Mable Arch, so he just got of the car and abandoned it...!

Tried to get neighbourhood watch around here - the police simply are not interested, and neither is anyone else.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Susie..i would look after your cat..if I lived near you...Infact my neighbours DID look after my two.. just to warn you the crutches made both cats scared till they got used to the clicking...I could drive but was never confident..  hell your husband was brave?? to abandon his car at Marble Arch!  Iused to work in a health club in Berkley Sq many years ago and passed M Arch daily!.

​Surprised about the police reaction to NB Watch.  Ours is very strong and we have a PSO who comes to out meetings.  But I know we are only one of a few in our area in Salisbury.

Keep posting Susie..when is your date?  Can't remember without trawling back.

Ali 2 x

• Posted

Have you tried cats protection league or repos, some batteries will deliver back to it would be worth enquiring xx
    • Posted

Hi Alice:

No date yet.  I have started a new discussion on the problems of living alone, and having a totally dependent cat.  She is a Maine Coon, and she runs away from everyone.  The only person she trusts is me, and possibly my daughter!

I worked in London before going to New York.  I worked for Charles Clore for a while....  Also took the Jaeger management training program, but that was interrupted by the job offer in Public relations in New York, so off I went!

My area is very transient, and very mixed.  I won my own flat, but some of them are owned by investors out to make money, hence the rapid turnover in tenants.  We are right by the canal, with pleasant walks along the towpath.  But it is difficult to form relationships with neighbours, becuase of the high turnover.  There is just a sprinkling of long term owner/occupiers.  

Local police and council are Draconian in attitude, to say the very least.  Police officers vary tremendously in attitude which can turn on a dime from "good cop" to "bad cop" depending upon the issue/s!

Best regards,

Susie

• Posted

I live alone with a cat, I use a pet service to come in twice a day to feed when I am on holiday and when I was in hospital, costs about £10 per day. Useful because my lady that comes takes in mail and draws curtains as well as providing TLC for cat. I was worried  about coming home because the cat is always under my feet so went to a rehab clinic for a week while I regained some mobility. Expensive but worth it. Before I went into hospital I put everything I thought I would need on high shelves and replaced my china with the plastic picnic cups plates etc. My main concern was if I dropped china or glass I wouldn't be able to clean it up before the cat trod in it! I also got   pet bowls on sticks called no bend pet bowls from Amazon they were a godsend. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.