Supplements?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I received a pancreatic resection of my tail in May of last year and have just been diagnosed with a 10 mm cyst in the head.  I'm told all that can be done is manage pain/rest and food.  Energy is lacking.  Has anyone had any luck with B12 shots?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also - I've heard magnesium is helpful for calcification.  The tail of my pancreas was resected because of calcification so wondering if magnesium helps
  • Posted

Although I have not any of my pancrea removed yet hopefully never 

i have chronic attacks but I do take chelates magnesium about 2 grams worth split into 2 doses daily do you take a digestive enzyme of some sort rather synthetic of animal to help food intake and to ease what's leftnof your pancrea let me say for me I started taking the magnesium was two,years ago and although I still get pain in the upper left stomach area front or back they are much milder than before supplementing I do take b12 in a spray form way more than recommended on the bottle lol but it helps good luck I feel for your must be scary I'm glad to be where I am can you share a bit of what led you to need a piece removed 

• Posted

I discovered my pancreas issues when I lost 20 lbs within a few weeks, grew extremely weak and lost all interest in food.  My pain began as quick "knive" shots to the left gut area.  I went to a local gastro guy who recommended I go to a teaching hospital (IU Health Center).  The Dr. I saw there (Dr. Max Schmidt) is an ongoing researcher (and published) in the field of pancreatitis.  After many tests ERCP, EUS, Cat scans and MRI - it was determined I had a blockage in the tail of my pancreas. Initially a stent was considered until it was discovered it was calcification (I also have hardening of the arteries - both heart and pancreas issues are DNA/Genetically driven).  Dr. Schmidt did a "DaVinci" surgery (robotic surgery much like a laporoscopy) and after four little one inch tummy cuts the tail with its calcificiation was removed.  That was 11 months ago.  I continue to have pain - some times short/sometimes (today) long and painful.  I watch what I eat (not much), rest a lost (have little energy) and avoid stress - these are the triggers that create my "angry pancreas" a term the doctors used so I might identify my triggers and avoid them.

A new symptom is complete body sweats - just sitting doing nothing and all of a sudden I'm wet from head to toe.  Not sure what that cause is but a dr visit tomorrow may help. 

I'm hoping to find a B12 shot that helps me with energy and to determine if there is something greater than double Norco 10 to help with pain yet keep me some one sane (vs. zombie like). 

I'm open to any suggestions - realizing we are all different and react to different methods.  This pancreas stuff is so unpredictable and I so appreciate a place to vent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.