Supplements after gall bladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone takes supplements that have helped since having their gall bladder removed.

Someone had recommended the liver doctor website to me but I would love more I noom before I order

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It depends on what you need help with.  Remember the liver doctor website is selling a product--and if you opt to take it, you're assuming the risk that it might or might not harm you.  Sites such as this make pronouncements about what a person needs to do or buy and take to feel better without ever having examined them or having any idea of their medical history.  

Most people deal very well with the surgery.  Others don't have enough bile in their system to aid in digestion, so they purchase ox bile supplements.  Then again, there are those that suffer from having too much bile, they often need prescription medication.

Many patients on this site have had to do an extensive amount of investigation, trial and error to find out what works for them, including modifying their diet.

Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Betsy, personally I wouldn't take anything at the moment as you've only just had surgery and you need to let your body heal and adjust to life without a gallbladder, you can cause yourself more problems if you start taking things that your body doesn't need. If later on you're having problems then go and see your doctor in the first instance.

So let yourself heal naturally as you may not have any need for anything and alot don't.

Take care and let us know your progress. x

• Posted

Im six months post op. Personally I would not take anything that has not been prescribed by a doctor. Even seemingly innocuous herbal remedies can have strong effects and I would not want to make things worse.

If you're having problems, see a doctor, otherwise steer clear of supplements.

• Posted

Yes I do and from extensive researc, they are essential. I take liver support, ox bile and digestive enzymes. They helped me eat again pre removal and I have had zero issues with food post op, including sweet potato fries deep fried from a restaurant. They call oxbile a gallbladder in a bottle. Its a digestive process and part is missing now, when the process is interrupted our digestion suffers, we no longer have the concentrated grease to melt the fat, which is essential for our health ( fat soluble vitamins, weight balance, hormones and brain) it also doesn't trigger the response from the pancreas for the enzymes as well any longer.

I find them essentail for good digestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.