Supplements for type 2 diabetes

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone been using supplements for type 2 diabetes successfully, seen any improvements, noticed a difference ? If yes, please tell me....

Chromium Picolivate...reduces cholesterol, cinnamon tablets, alpha lipoic acid, berberine...reduces glucose production in liver, citrus bergamot...raising good cholesterol, lowering blood sugar levels, cinnamon essential oil, oregano oil.

Also has any of you tried cooking or juicing bitter gourd or bitter melon( an Indian vegetable, very bitter known to lower sugar levels) for a period of time and noticed improvements in sugar levels ? I would very much appreciate your input....

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

A good question. When one sees numerous natural treatments on youtube for controlling Diabetes etc, one gets into fix whether to use them or not. If any of these treatments have been tried by some one that can facilitate decision making. Sorry Dani, I am not in a position to give comments on the issue pointed out by you but I would like to know the views of others who have some experience of using any of the natural supplements. 
  • Posted

There is limited scientific evidence on the efficacy of dietary supplements as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) for type 2 diabetes. Available evidence is not strong enough to prove that any of the six grants discussed in this report benefits benefits for type 2 diabetes or its complications. Here are the six of the dietary supplements that people try for diabetes: alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), chromium, coenzyme Q10, garlic, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids.
  • Posted

I used gluten-free paleobdiet for my mother, acupuncture and she takes many herbs. 

Specifically, I gave her citrus bergamont and berberine for her diabetes. In addition, she’s had a history of utis and kidney problems, which are treated with oregano oil, d-manose (cranberry), grapefruit seed extract.

She also has thyroid disease and tachycardia- treated with natural dessicated glandular, grape seed extract and CoQ10.

I attribute her rapid recovery from full insulin to no medication in less than 6 months, to the acupuncture, citrus bergamont and berberine. However, it’s likely that the holistic approach has also helped her heal quickly.

She’s 87, so recovering from her many illnesses is quite an accomplishment!

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

I am also using citrus bergamine, berberine, cinnamon tablets, Coenzyme Q10 for my diabetes and a few others for my thyroid problems. TCM is very good.....

All your good work for your mother has paid off....I hope she is doing well. A holistic approach I feel always helps....

• Posted

Wait, what?! I seriously had no Idea about dietary supplements that can help with diabetes. This is for the first time I've heard someone talking about the use of dietary supplements to manage diabetes. I want to know more, so If you have any good information about it, please give me. I've always been a believer of natural treatments for every condition, even for diabetes. You share your supplement details and I'll come up with some amazing natural treatment. I hope these work for both for us :p

• Posted

There are quite a few natural supplements and herbs used to help people with diabetes. However some of them can interact with other medications that do the same job, lowering sugar levels in your blood. It is important to be aware of any interactions before starting a supplement. I do not take any medication for my diabetes, I have a gluten free diet, follow a Paleo diet, lactose free, no sugar, low fat. I am very active, do yoga and pilates, mediate....I follow a holistic way of healing my body, I go to holistic retreats twice a year. Stress is a major trigger in all autoimmune diseases,

I have other two autoimmune diseases...I call them the sisterhood of autoimmune diseases. Citrus bergamine, berberine, cinnamon tablets, CQ10, multi mineral, B complex time released, grapefruit seeds extract, Omega3, Vitamin D, B12 monthly injected for my Hypothyroidism. Fengugreek has the potential for lowering blood sugar levels, I use it in the powder form in my dishes regularly, Gymnema, reduces insulin resistance and I use it in cooking, Ginger, Milk Thistle, a tonic for the liver, helps protect against further damage caused by diabetes, Green Tea, Vitamin B1 known as thiamine....low thiamine has been linked to heart disease and blood vessel damage. Bitter melon extract capsules are good....I buy the vegetable and juice it. Garlic I use a lot in cooking, there are capsules available.

I eat lots of broccoli, spinach tomatoes...high in alpha lipoic acid beneficial when trying to reverse diabetes.

I use amaranth, pearl barley, quinoa, farro, flax, chia seeds, teff, bulgur wheat, buckwheat in my cooking

• Posted

Stephen, you might try some research on causes of diabetes. There is some information out there that deficiencies in boron and other minerals contribute to diabetes.  Also processed meats are thought to co tribute to diabetes. Many medications can cause diabetes. When you look at causes and treat those, you treat the disease instead if the symptoms.

Though not diabetic, I’ve found myself sensitive to sugar periodically and found white kidney bean extract to be extremely helpful in stabilizing blood sugar, take. With meals containing carbs. Didn’t test my blood sugar, just felt a lot better.

Pancreatitis, sluggish liver and gallbladder can contribute to diabetes, as can chemical contaminants. Many drugs are known to induce diabetes. Emotional health can also play a role: loneliness and lack of physical contact have been shown to contribute to diabetes. Studies have shown that animals who are petted when fed are significantly less likely to become diabetic.

Use you brain. The liver is closely involved in blood sugar processing, so maintaining a healthy liver  is important. This means no drinking or drugs. I’ve found liver cleansing and gallbladder flushes to be extremely helpful, though this is not a part of mainstream medicine.

You have a world of information at your fingertips with the internet. Avoid silly marketing ploys and look for reliable information,

• Posted

Stephen, you can see by the answers to your question that you’ve hit a hit button. Go ahead and keep digging, check out borax, as a source of boron if you want some interesting reading for starters. 
    • Posted

Oh so you mean natural dietary supplements, well I knew a little bit about them. A friend of mine was suggesting me to use fish-oil pills as they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that can help me in maintaining the diabetes and maintain the cholesterol levels in body. I was looking for buying some fish-oil pills as soon as I get my paycheck.

Till then, I loved the idea of using broccoli, But just one thing, can I make a broccoli salad with some soya sauce in it? Well, I really used to enjoy it before my diagnosis. Your list of ingredients for cooking is just amazing, I read this https://zovon.com/home-remedies/general-health/diabetes-home-remedies/ and maybe you did too when i posted this earlier. They talked about similar stuff but it wasn't reliable then. I think After reading your advise I can somehow rely on them a bit.

• Posted

How much dose? Did you feel any appreciable benefit; some details? I have glanced through the article mentioned by stephenlopez in this Forum which indicates it to be a remedy for almost all the health problems. Is it a herbal product? Any idea what do the Docs feel about it?
    • Posted

Hi Stephen,

Soy sauce gluten free ....organic Tamari, you need a low carb, low salt one. Some people use Bragg Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce. I follow Paleo diet and it is a NON-GMO liquid protein concentrate derived from soy beans. Soy being a legume is not part of Paleo diet, they are rich in anti nutrients and as a result, quite inflamatory.

Kikkoman soy sauce low salt you can use but not a lot...measure in teaspoons. Stir fry works well....

Check out healthy supplies....I buy quite a few things from them.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Boron capsules.....20 mg per day, people consume varying amounts of boron depending on their diet, google it and find a list of them. I have hypothyroidism and have been taking it for many years....
    • Posted

Sorry, I was very brief....I see a qualified nutritionist and naturopath from time to time. Boron must be taken correctly and always seek professional advice before beginning....should always start with 3 mg a day and increase the dose slowly. It helps to balance the hormones, boosts hormones in both men and women, helps with the bone strength through its influence on hormones, anti fungal and anti parasites. Helps greatly in autoimmune diseases....diabetes. I have been taking it for many years.....

Do not take it if you have kidney problems or cancer. Google it and find out more about it. The main dietry sources of boron are fruits, nuts and vegetables.

• Posted

Sorry Iqbal....I was very brief, see my last reply, it is for you. You must do some research yourself about boron, lots of people use it as a medication....has helped me with my hormones over time, anti fungal. Great help with all autoimmune diseases....see someone who can guide you, a professional.
    • Posted

Japanese Organic Tamari soy sauce....wheat free, gluten free, lower carbohydrates, still use a little, measure with teaspoon. I sent you a longer reply but it is still in moderating stage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.