Supplements GERD and LPR advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi would appreciate if people could post what supplements and natural remedies they are taking to help with GERD and LPR and some details on if they have helped or not.

Have exhausted all options with doctor and upping my tablet dose has made me worse so looking for natural remedies. I bought some digestive enzymes, probiotics, manuka honey and dgl liquorice.

Haven't taken the enzymes a little afraid to as have heard they can make it worse, probiotics haven't done too much for me and just tried the honey and liquorice today seemed to ease my tummy pain.

Would appreciate any advice and wisdom

Thanks

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shan

Yes that's all gastro doc has to offer me, more drugs!

Dgl licorice had been a life saver for me. I buy chewable tablets but recently I bought what I thought was chewable but turned out to be licorice tablets. However if I swallow them they don't do anything for me but if I empty tablet into my mouth (break capsule) and mix with saliva ( which is what activates licorice) they work! The benefit is these capsules don't contain any sugar or artificial sweetener like the chewable tablets. Plus they were $6 for 100 tablets. Cheap as chips 😜

Raising top of my bed really helped too plus changing diets and leaving 2 hrs tween food and exercise. Stomach exercises can cause my reflux.

I'm taking glucosamine and MSM and vit D3 at mo and my reflux has been really good. I'm sure one of these if not both r helping. Ironically I'm taking glucosamine and MSM for knee pain!?

Avoiding dairy really helps too and trying to keep calm. Very difficult when you have a teenage daughter who is completely off the rails. 😫😫

• Posted

Liquorice is so expensive here I got 100 tablets for £14.99! And thanks for the advice smile

• Posted

Melatonin and tryptophan. There are several studies on this (you can google it).

D-limenone (orange peel extract). You can google it and find brands on amazon with reviews of people who it has helped.

I think that both of those have helped me.

• Posted

I have never heard any of those thank you smile will look into them have you ever tried digestive enzymes?
    • Posted

I actually have not digestive enzymes. Have you?

I have dgl but the couple times I've taken it I felt like it was irritating to my throat so I haven't really tried sticking with that. Maybe I should give it another try.

• Posted

No I haven't yet I bought some but I'm scared to take them heard mix reviews. Yeah the dgl really hurts my throat and gives me mouth ulcers but it really helps my stomach so I'm tempted to carry on taking it, I always rinse with mouthwash after to try get rid of residue

• Posted

R u sure the dgl licorice is giving you mouth ulcers? The reflux gives me mouth ulcers.
  • Posted

Hi Shan

How do you PM?

I get my dgl licorice from it's much cheaper or vitacost

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.