Supplements - Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I'm thinking about taking some vitamin and/or mineral supplements but I'm feeling overwhelmed at the amount there is and the doses available.

Vitamin B complex

Magnesium

Vitamin E

Evening Primrose

Flax seed oil

Would multi-vitamin and multi-mineral be just as effective?

I've been reading that if you take one vitamin with another or with certain foods  you decrease their absorption; or some foods increase the absorption.

I know I should be getting the vitamins/minerals in my diet but I don't and where I am going to try after my operation (hyst) to change my diet it will be a big change for me so I want to help if I can, I just don't know where to start.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated and if there's anything else I can take that I haven't mentioned, I'd love to hear it.

Regards, Esmay

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

P.S. Or what about those branded Menopause supplements. I don't want to mention any names in case it's wrong to do so but I'm sure you know what I mean. cheesygrin

• Posted

I know with some of those supplements for menopause you have to check with the pharmacy or your doctor if you are on anti depresents or bp meds. I was taking one and the pharmacy people said it was fine but my doctor wouldn't recommend it because of making lower bp and not letting my anti depresent work right, bata blockers or something like that in those, might not be in all though, check around. And it was starting to help me too, so there is things out there OTC.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Cindy. Thankfully I'm not anti-depressants and I hope it stays that way after my hyst. I've decided against the branded menopause supplements anyway, costly busisness eek

• Posted

I take a women's one a day vitamin and 2000 mgs vitamin D

• Posted

Hi Unico

Does that give you the recommended daily amount that you need? I know it's only supposed to be a supplement and as I've already said I am going to change my diet (funny how I still haven't, well apart from wholemeal bread and I had a banana the other day.. razz ) but I live in hope lol

• Posted

Hi Esmay, I wouldn't bother with 'supermarket' big name brands. A lot of the stuff in them is synthetic and/or not bioavailable.

You are right to be taking Vit D, most of us are Vit D deficient and it is a very important hormone. Another thing you are probably deficient in is magnesium. It has been leached from the soil by modern farming practices (as have many other vital trace elements), if it is not in the soil, it is not in your food.

If you want I can PM you with details of where you can find more info - this site won't let me. There is a lot to learn, to take control of your own life, but you can do it, one step at a time.

• Posted

Hi Bobbysgirl,

I have bought a few vitamins and some magnesium today but please do message me anything you think will help.

Thank you biggrin

• Posted

I take women's active multivitamin from gnc. My b vitamins and d vitamin were great last time my levels were checked l. Apparently menopausal women need more of the bs and d.

• Posted

I've got some D, B Complex, E and Magnesium. Will see if that helps smile

• Posted

I am currently taking evening primrose oil, flaxseed oil, a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement, vitamins D and E, and vitamin B complex.  I can say for sure that the evening primrose and flaxseed combination have been a huge help for breast pain; I used to have it constantly but now have it only with PMS.  The magnesium helps me sleep much better.  I can't tell whether the others are helping or not.  I quit taking my daily multivitamin a few years ago when my GI doctor told me that it was of no real benefit.

• Posted

Well your doctor got that right! Most 'multivitamins' are poor quality synthetic products. You are doing the best thing by taking them separately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.