supplements (if any) post cholecystectomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

does anyone take ox bile, or digestive enzymes post gallbladder removal ?

I am 5 weeks out after my cholecystectomy and weight loss has stalled, and am feeling bloated at times. Probiotic drink like kefir is proving helpful

Is early days, overall pleased with operation, right side pain and all the other horrible stuff (GERD in my case) has now abated

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder taken out more than a decade ago in my early 20s. I didn't fit the description at all. My surgeon never informed me of any difficulty I may experience after surgery. I have regrets about having it removed, though the pain was intense and I knew the risk of pancreatitis. Recently I came across digestive enzymes. But here's how I came to experimenting with them.

A couple years after surgery my gi doctor prescribed my hycosamine, I may not have spelled that correctly.

It has helped. I use it as a prn. Its prescribed to be of use while experiencing pain post eating. I use it as a preventative. So if I'm having a special meal or I'm traveling then I pop one before a meal. It helps alot.

My gp told me that hycosamine can cause arrhythmia so I don't want to rely on this medication permanently.

Over the course of the last year I had a bad bout of norovirus, a dose of antibiotics for a sinus infection, and another bout of norovirus. This weakened my already sensitive stomach. I also have a family history of stomach issues but no ibs that I know of. I've recently started having a lot of digestion problems but I didn't put it together with these events. Neither did my gi doctor.

Since moving I needed a new gi doctor and he felt i may be heading toward ibs and honestly that doesn't seem right. So after realizing my gut bacteria may not be balanced I tried a probiotic and I think I've found the one for me! It keeps me on a schedule and after of few days of starting it the minor discomfort of taking it disappeared. Honestly after a lot of research I think a lot of people can benefit from them. I only do 15 billion. I read quite a number of reviews connected to gallbladder removal and success. I also came across digestive enzymes. I didn't want ox bile. I actually found a vegetarian version that is gluten free soy free and dairy free. I recently started using them with success. But also I think it's because if the probiotics which helped with bloating issues. I've heard of using bile salts but if you are experiencing diarrhea as opposed to constipation I think it can make it worse. I won't try them. I find it frustrating that doctors dont discuss these as after care options and brushes them off when asked.

Side note my plan is not to rely on the digestive enzymes completely. I plan to use them once a day and not every day until I've been on the probiotic for a few months. I also dont do a lot of dairy. No icecream, cream in my coffee, no cooking with butter. I use almond milk instead. I do eat cheese though. And not large quantities. It took a while to find the combination that worked for me and honestly I'm still adjusting it. I hope this helps even if it's just a bit. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.