Supplements no longer helping body?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I get sinusitis a lot. Nasty sickness 6-10 days a month, every month. My family doctor told me it may be due to a weak immune system so I started taking these Elderberry, Echinacea, and Vitamin C gummy supplements. Almost immediately I stopped being sick. No more sinusitis symptoms. I felt normal. Due to the high cost, I switched over to a different brand whose nutrition label was exactly the same except for a little bit of sodium. Now, I'm sick again. All my symptoms are coming back and I feel horrible. It has been weeks and I am seeing no improvement so I was wondering if my body has become "resistant" to these combination of supplements. Is that even possible? Maybe the nutrition label on this new brand is a lie. The facility/company isn't FDA registered so it could be a sham. I got both from Amazon. And I highly doubt it's a placebo effect. I literally go through a box of tissues a day now. I'm thinking of switching back to the previous brand to see if that helps.

**I know there could be other problems to my sinusitis but I really just want to know if it's possible my body has built up a resistance to the gummy benefits.

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you switched back and achieved the same dramatic result as when you first tried them it would be tempting to think that the cheaper ones are at best inferior, at worst a rip off. Very difficult to prove though. Having said that I have seen patients with other conditions find a change of brand in other drugs affects their response.

NB Just an observation, not medically qualified.

• Posted

From what I understand you to say, you got better once after an array of supplements, but the next time you tried them the supplements didn't work.

The symptoms of sinusitis can be relieved by supplements, but probably not the cause. Consider the possibility that it was coincidence and luck the first time around and that the supplements weren't really active much in themselves.

In my own research the only scientifically proven supplement for sinusitis (and colds generally) is zinc, delivered as a lozenge or a nasal spray not as an oral pill. Echinacea and Vitamin C and so forth can help but minimally.

The very best treatment for sinusitis is of course inhalations.

As to whether it's possible your body has built up a resistance to the 'gummy benefits'.. it's possible. It depends how long you've been taking them.

Vit C is always good for the health, (good quality, high dose) but the chances are they weren't helping your sinusitis much, and you would have got better anyway. My nutritionist has never indicated that I might develop a resistance to my four years of daily 1000mg vit C as he keeps on prescribing it.

Keeping your head warm and out of the damp is one way to avoid it. Four times daily inhalations, the best way to get rid of it.

It's horrid, I know. I had it for years.

• Posted

I also suffer from sinus issues , for years I was in a lot of pain , I kept trying different things , but nothing helped a whole lot , then I read about QUERCETIN , it really works and my husband also used it for his bad allergies , most vitamin stores do carry it , its not very expensive , hope this helps , plus its good for a lot of illnesses .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.