Supplements to Help With Arthritic Back Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just ordered some Tumeric as a friend said it helped her back pain.  I thought I would give it a try.  Also told Devil's Claw could help.  They are said to help with inflammation which causes arthritic pain. 

Has anyone else tried these, and what was the result?    Can anyone else suggest supplements that might help.  I do not like taking the strong pain killers doctor prescribes, and had a bad rectal bleed from Ibrupofen, so will never take that again. 

I do exercise shown to me by physiotherapist at hospital last year.  They told me to take Glucosamine, but that has not made any difference to the back pain. 

Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne

I haven't tried Turmeric, but I have just bought a magnetic ankle strap for my right ankle which gave me a lot of pain, it was less that £5 this is the second day of wearing it - I take it off at night, and the pain has subsided, I poo pick our horses field twice a day and the unevenness of the fields used to be very painful for my ankle, but so far I am very happy with the result. My hands are worse so going to go back on ebay in a minute and order myself some magnetic gloves, they also do magnetic waist straps, so maybe this would help.

best of luck

Julie

• Posted

Thanks Julie.  I did try that but did not help at all sadly.  Tried copper bracelet too, and again did not help.  Oh well.  I suppose these things help some people and not others.  I have got support for hands, but again little relief. I am glad they help you. 

Take care

• Posted

I use Pernaton gel on my hip and knee, I feel this helps.  It is made from green-lipped mussel extract and I know they do this in capsule form so I am considering trying those.  My GP told me to take glucosamine  which I did for several years but did not feel it helped.  I have just started physio on my hip and I spoke to the therapist who didn't feel glucosamine was beneficial.  
    • Posted

It was a physiotherapist at my local hospital who told me to take Glucosamine, and after taking it for a couple of years, don't feel it has reduced pain at all.  I use Biofreeze gel and it helps initially, but I don't thin rub in ointments last long.  Last year I again had physiotherapy at the hospitsal and told to use a hotwater bottle on my back, and this does soothe, and I lie on settee watching TV and have the bottle on my back.

I have taken cod liver oil and Omega 3 for years too, and I would do anything to ease the pain.  I will see if the tumeric helps.

Thank you all.  Bless you.

• Posted

I hope it works for you Anne, Let us know.
    • Posted

I am going to buy some Pernaton.  I have also been told that taking Green Lipped Mussel tablets may help with the arthritis pain.  Have you tried them?  Strange how some physios recommend glucosamine and others dont.  Hope the physio works for you.
    • Posted

Hi

I use te pernaton gel but nbever tried the tablets

Let me knowhow it goes i you do try them

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

I tried glucosamine but it didnt help me...not to say it wont help you.

I was also told much later you are supposed to take them for6 months beore feeling much change???

I use pernaton gel that was mentioned earlier......on my back and hip.

I feel that helps me.

Devils claw......check that ifyou are taking any other medication.  cant take it because it clashes with other medication I take

Good luck

Eileen

• Posted

Thank you very much.  No glucosamine did not help me either.  Still take it as physiotherapist at hospital said it should help. 

Take care

• Posted

I swear by Icy Hot roll-on! You can put it EXACTLY where your pain is, and you aren't filling yourself with pills.

I keep Icy Hot in my purse, and I have some upstairs, downstairs, and take it with me on vacations, to parties, etc.

You can't beat the convenience AND the ability to get medicated warmth right to the perfect place on your back!

The roll-on form means you don't have to touch it or get it in your eyes when you forget and touch your face.

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.