Supplements? Weight gain? Where do I start??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys! After a nearly year-long process of being turned away by doctors who dismissed my symptoms as just stress or hormones, I finally got a diagnosis last week of Lyme disease and have been on doxycycline the past 6 days. The Herxheimer reactions were awful (and my doctor, who was not well-versed in Lyme, had no idea what was going on), but I'm feeling better enough today to sit up and use the computer.

I'm hopeful that these antibiotics will rid my body of Lyme after my 21-day prescription, but I'm still faced with a number of symptoms that I don't anticipate will go away entirely, and neither my primary care doctor nor my endocrinologist seem willing to help/advise me. 

My doctors don't know when exactly I got Lyme, but they estimate based on my activity/location it was between 1 and 3 years ago. In that time, I've gained close to 30 pounds. No amount of exercise or diet change has seemed to help. I haven't done any crazy diet changes (e.g. eliminating a food group entirely) because I've been in college this whole time and food choices are limited, but I started eating healthier overall and began exercising almost every day after class, and only continued to gain weight. I'm 21 years old, so I feel like it's too early for my metabolism to have crashed on its own, and my endocrinologist says all my metabolic functions are normal. I think there may be a thyroid issue as well, because hypothyroidism runs in my family. My free T4 and T3 levels are in the normal range, but my TSH increased from 3.5 to 4.6 in a period of 4 weeks. My endocrinologist barely glanced at the numbers and said that was fine, but it doesn't feel fine to me, and I know Lyme can affect the thyroid. But with no doctors prescribing anything for me, I'm not sure where to turn. 

In a week, I move across the country after graduating from college, but I will probably have to wait two to three months before getting a new doctor while I wait for my new insurance to start. I will have them recheck my thyroid and check to make sure the Lyme was eradicated, but in the meantime, what should I do? Are there good supplements to help thyroid function and/or lose weight? I've also lost just about all muscle mass (I can barely lift a backpack), so I want to address that, too. I've also experienced considerable bloating/swelling (in the face/feet) and don't know if there are supplements to address that as well. 

I'm still too fatigued to exert much energy, but in a couple weeks I start a very high-stress, time-consuming job, so I really need to be 120%. I feel pretty abandoned by my doctors, who basically took a "wait and see" approach and said they hoped the doxycycline would just fix everything. I'm willing to try just about anything to get back to my pre-Lyme self, so any advice/recommendations are appreciated!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Check out BX protocol Lyme disease on YouTube. It’s about 18 minutes long and very interesting. I just watched it and my jaw dropped. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.