Support and advice needed :-)

Posted , 4 users are following.

To cut a long story short, I’ve reallt struggled with anti - depressant medication and tolerance, you name it ive tried it and I think I’ve exhausted the different groups of anti depressants. I’m not chronically depressive or anxious, or I wasn’t until starting anti depressant medication, I’ve had serious life stresses over the past 3 years that have led to feeling the need to have medicated help. 

Since Xmas I have worked up to 30mg of MT, which has totally affected my appetite, the way my brain is functioning (fugginess), I could lay in bed for hours and sit just in my own world. This just isn’t me, I’ve felt trapped in my own head and mind. I’ve reduced my prescription back down to 15mg and feel heightened anxiety but my Brain feels more switched on. Please if anyone has any advice or support for the coming weeks I’d really appreciate it, I don’t feel suicidal (I’ve only had darker thoughts while on anti depressants), just some tips and support for getting my body and mind back to some kind of normality. Thanks in advance :-)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kat,

I’m part of a Mirtazapine withdrawal support group on Facebook. There are members on there that are tapering off the drug and there are members like myself that have off it for a number of months.

If you wish to join us let me know and I’ll send you details in a private message

Take care

Graeme

• Posted

Hi Graeme, I joined yesterday 😁 thank you for your reply 😁

• Posted

I was the same on 30mg, completely zombified. Was fine on 15 but still had an appetite of a horse. Now on 10 and still ok so far. I would try to stay positive on 15mg if I were you, those higher doses don't suit everyone. Hope you will settle. 

• Posted

Hi- Sorry to know your situation. Like yourself, I have suffered from anxiety depn. since teens. and have tried all the meds. that are there in all groups except MAOI. Been on MIRT. since July/ Aug 2017. It does work for depression and sleep. But not sure so much about anxiety. Although for some it does help. My experience to cope with the side effects is that If I keep myself occupied in any activity I do not feel the many side effects this Meds. has. Doing Yoga-at home and Mindfulness exercises does seem to help. My mind does wander terribly and becomes out of control- but is helped if I apply Mindfulness and break the cycle by doing something physically- activity. my mental symptoms do create physical as well, but I distract myself by doing something and NOT sitting and thinking about it. Sitting and thinking is the WORST problem. Because that leads to anxiety spiral and that routine leads to depression. My advice would be- Have yourself referred for Psychological  therapy- CBT, if you have not done so before. Try yoga/ meditation/ mindfulness on regular basis. Join a group if possible. I do on my own .Also try deep breathing exercises. I find them helpful in times of panic/anxiety/ attacks.Try not to be alone if possible .Some stretching exercises also help to distract and give a little "feel good".Lastly, plan your day with small tasks that are doable. Hope these tips help. With best wishes.   

• Posted

Hi kat29241. Just to ask the reason  for your increase  to 30mg?. have you found it helpful or are feeing more agitated and any dizzy spells? Strangely I found that my appetite was down and lost some weight. I am nowon 15mg for the last 3 months and trying to manage with other tools mentioned earlier.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.