Support groups in the DFW area or people interested in starting a small group

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone from the DFW area knows of any support groups in the area???

If not, how about anyone that may be interested in meeting for coffee or breakfast on Saturday or Sunday morning's a couple of times a month? A small group would be great.

I'm a 51yo man, still working as a local truck driver. I live in Arlington near Pioneer and Cooper.

Family and friends don't understand what we're going through. Anytime I mention that I'm in pain,not feeling good they always have a comeback of yea, my back hurts or I slammed my fingers in a door,lol.

Not looking for a pity party. I'd just like to meet some like individuals to discuss what's going on and maybe advise each other.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

I'd be interested in a text or phone friend also. All are welcome.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony,

Sorry I can't help to meet, I live in London!

But always happy to chat on here!

RA is a horrible illness but there are some people I have come across on this site that are supportive. You're right that not a lot of people understand!

Hope you manage to find some people to set up a group!

• Posted

Thanks Sarah. I'm sure I'll find someone if not a small group.

I do plan on hanging around this sight. I've already learned that it's very informative and there are genuine people here.

When I'm in pain and experiencing a flare, I've found that I'm that grumpy old fart that I don't want to be.

I know I can't beat it but I'm going to confront it head on and not let it control my life!

• Posted

Only problem is that people are dotted all over the world!

That's a good attitude to have! I sympathise with the grumpy old fart itis lol. I am not a nice person at the mo! But we can't blame ourselves really! But i think a positive attitude like yours cannot be a bad thing!

How long have you had RA?

• Posted

Noticed symptoms appx 3 years ago but the last 1.5 years have progressed.

I quit taking meds per GP for some blood work and had the worst flare ever. I hurt every where from the base of my skull to the bottom of my feet. Had a mild fever and severe fatigue. Back on the meds and feeling better.

Currently on Effexor for depression, prednisone, meloxicam and Tramadol as needed for pain.

What's your situation, if you don't mind sharing?

• Posted

I got diagnosed almost a year ago. I am on methotrexate and started yesterday on hydroxychloroquine alongside too.

My joint flares appear to have settled abit but the thing i have so much trouble with atm is the fatigue. Its just getting worse - either that or i have days where i feel like i have the flu - where everything just hurts.

Thats good that the medication makes you feel a bit better. Its so difficult that it affects everyone differently too, would be much easier with it being the same process!

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your fatigue. I also have fatigue.

Even though the pain and stiffness are hard to deal with, I still wake up singing like a bird. Between 3-4 pm I'm just hopping to make it through the day.

I've decided to go back to my (expensive) Rheumatologist!

• Posted

Hi Tony, I am not in the DFW, sorry.  I was wondering if your doctor has suggested you go on a biologic?  I started having symptoms about 11 years ago, it took several months to get into the rheumatologist that I wanted, my GP put me on prednisone to make me feel better until my appointment.  The rheumatologist immediately put me on a biologic, methotrexate and Arava.  The side affects were scary but I was so miserable I decided I wanted to feel good while I was here!  He explained that biologics stop the joint damage and it is best to treat it aggressively from the beginning before the damage gets started.  I have taken Humira ever since, stopped the methotrexate and prednisone and cut the Arava to 10 mg.  I have no joint damage and the only time I have pain is when I use a joint in a repetitive motion, so I have learned not to do that!  I am tired but part of that could be age, I will be 68 next month.   My advice to anyone with RA is to try a biologic if you can, also get your eyes checked regularly while on prednisone as it can raise the eye pressure, which can lead to blindness if not treated.  Good luck to you! I hope you find someone in your area, it does help to have someone to talk to.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice janis. A rheumatologist it will be!
  • Posted

Hello from UK, I have had RA for 15 years medication sulfasalazine and naproxen but recently discovered info on Turmeric 95% curcumin capsules, being taking it for about 10 weeks and it's definitely having good results on stiffness and pain, so might be worth a try, also I am going to try MSM, you can check info on these online.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.