Supposed to have IUD placed but I'm late on my period? What to do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey,

Tomorrow i'm supposed to have my IUD placed and my period was supposed to start yesterday. I am pretty sure its because of stress levels as this week i've had an exceptionally stressful week. My mom was in hospital, i had graduate interviews with potential profs for masters applications on top of work and preparing research proposals.

I was wondering if anyone knew if they have had one placed when their period has been late because my OBGYN apparently likes to place hers while you're on the 3rd day of you period. I've waited 3 months for this appointment and don't want to reschedule if possible.

My partner and I are pretty safe during sex but we've had condoms break last week, So there is that potential. it was nearly 10 days after my Ovulation, so the likelihood of pregnancy is low but it hasn't been long enough for me to take a pregnancy test.

I will discuss this with my OBGYN tomorrow of course, I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience? or has any thoughts because I'm freaking out.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was told by my doctor that it was best to have it place when you are having your period since your cervix some what dilates. Well when I went to get mine I was already on another birth control and my periods were so unpredictable. So the doctor gave me medication the night before to take and then I had to take more of it an hour or so before the procedure to dilate my cervix. It made me cramp really bad. So maybe you can call really early in the morning an ask? Maybe you can still have it done without your period and possibly run and get meds before the procedure???? Good luck.
    • Posted

I needed up getting it that morning with some serious cramping. It went well according to the Doctor.

How long did you spot afterwards. Normally my period would be done by now as I was really heavy on Friday, Moderate on Saturday, and light on Sunday. It's Tuesday now am I am still spotting enough that I need a pad (I'm a tampon women but apparently I'm not allowed to use them until my first period ends according to my doctor).

Did your first period get extended for a long time? its driving me insane to not be able to use tampons - if i was able i wouldn't be driven so crazy with it being so long. Any helpful advice is appreciated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.