Suprapubic Catheter Advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Im a 25 year old male. I have had bladder failure for over 2 years now and i seen my cons last week. I am now on the list for a Suprapubic catheter. I am beyond terrified. Can anyone give me any info. Im having a GA because i am a high seizure risk. And staying in hospital for a couple of days. 

Is it painful when you wake up?

Can you move around and walk once your on the ward? 

Can you lift things or do you need help? 

Any info or advice would be amazing. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problem at your young age.  Did they say why your bladder failed.   Is that the only thing they offered you.  What about CIC.  That would give you more freedom.  With the suprapubic you should be fine.  you will still be able to have sex but CIC would be better for you  Ken   
    • Posted

Hi, i have been doing CIC for nearly a year but it has caused scarring in my urethra resulting in strictures. I have had 19 operations over the last two years to open the strictures back up but it just keeps closing back up. 

They dont know why my bladder has failed. I have had god knows how many tests and they cant find the reason. Plus i also keep getting UTI’s because i have a genetic condition where i dont have an immune system what so ever. My last UTI in january resulted in me getting sepsis and i ended up on a ventilator in ITU. I think thats the main reason they have now decided on SPC. 

• Posted

For someone so young to go through this is a shame.  I am so sorry.  But with the SPC you will have a chance of a better life.  You will have more freedom and you will be able to have sex and enjoy life.  A few men have had it done.  Where is the doctor going to put the tube for the bladder.  This one guy had he doctor put it more to one side instead of the center.  I guess it will be more hidden.  But we have to do what we have to to move on.  Take care and relax.  There should be only a little discomfort when you wake up  Good luck  Ken.    
  • Posted

HEY grant,

Sorry to hear about your condition. 

I’d assume that the supra catheter would be a little uncomfortable for awhile but in time you would get use to it. You should still be able to lift and do activites but be a little more cautious.

Fortunately my bladder works but I have got a huge problem with a stricture that is at the tip of my penis leaving me to dilate every night.

Keep me updated on how your doing!

• Posted

Hi Grant

In answer to your question I am female and yes it was very pain ful when I woke up wasn't expecting it but painkillers sorted it .

Moving and walking no issue but had to wear tracksuit bottoms for 3 months.

No issue with lifting or carrying.

Discomfort for nearly 4 weeks every one said get to 6 weeks and it would be ok some days it's grand other days it lets me know it's there, my bladder had become super sensitive. I had discomfort when lying on my side for 4 weeks.

No doubt it takes getting used to

Hope this helps

Mary dev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.