Suprapubic catheter following TURP and stricture formation

Posted , 6 users are following.

A friend who is an registered nurse sent me a link to a study comparing the outcome for patients who had suprapubic catheterization to the outcome for patients who had the usual Foley through the urethra.  The results were astounding to me.  Transurethral drainage (standard Foley) resulted in strictures in the anterior urethra of 10-11% of the cases.  In another study, the rate for the transurethral Foley was 17%.  Also, strictures at the bladder neck occured in 3-5% of the cases.

When a suprapubic catheter is used for post TURP drainage, only patient out of 94 had a stricture in the anterior urethra.

Some of these studies were done over 25 years ago, so I don't understand why supra pubic catheters are not used more often after TURP!  Anyone contemplating TURP should do a search, such as Google, to find these reports for yourself.   Also, having had a terrible and irreparable outcome from my procedures for BPH, if you are going to use the trans urethral Foley, please be tested for latex sensitivity before your surgery.  An easy way to do that yourself is to get a latex strap from a medical supply store and wear it around your leg for a couple of days.

Glenn

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ah, for an edit function.  In the middle paragraph, one patient out of 94 with the suprapubic cath developed strictures.
  • Posted

Good point. They asked if I was allergic, I wore gloves all the time in aerospace work, some people have to have special gloves who were alergic
  • Posted

An ordinary catheter will certainly not help the already traumatised urethra to heal.  The suprapubic one will allow it to heal.
  • Posted

I have to ask why a catheter is needed for more than day or so after TURP? After my HoLep I had a catheter for just a day. I did have a suprapubic catheter for 3 months before my HoLep as my urologist was worried that I might suffer urine retention. I was pleased with it and it gave no problems and I had a choice when urinating to use the catheter Flo valve or my penis!
    • Posted

I think you'll find the answer to that in another reply.   How uncomfortable was the suprapubic.   That may be my ultimate destinycry

• Posted

I had a suprapubic when I had heart surgery. I had told them that I had prostatitis but they said it wasn't a problem. When they tried to get a catheter in it evidently would not go past my prostate.

It was not uncomfortable just a nuisance along with a portable ECG recorder and tube draining fluid from my lung into another bag

• Posted

It was not painful or uncomfortable in itself and I continued to use the gym but you had to tape the tube and valve to your thigh and connect up to a urine bag and stand overnight. I think it has a much lower risk of problems than a Foley?
    • Posted

Thanks.  It's good to know that it's somthing I might tolerate if it comes to it, and my strictures close down the urethra some day.   Was the tube flush against the stomach under your clothes during the day?  How long was the external tube, and could someone else tell that it was under your clothing?  Did the tube ever clog on you are require flushing?

• Posted

Sorrry I didn't answer your question earlier as I was in a rush.  After the Greenlight laser procedure for my median lobe BPH, they took the catheter out after a day. Then, about 36 hours later, around midnight on a Saturday, I found myself in retention because the GL lots of hanging pieces of shreaded prostate that caused inflammation and swelling.  I went to the ER and with difficulty, they inserted another catheter.  When I called the urologist's office on Monday when they reopened, they told me that my doctor had gone on vacation and I would have to keep the catheter in until Thursday.   When I had Gyrus TURP two months later to clean up the mess from the GL, they left the cath for 5 or 6 days again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.