Surely there should be some improvement?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last Thursday I was in hospital for a day surgery op initially thought to be to treat an anal fissure. It turns out that there was no anal fissure but the procedure was carried out coupled with banding of haemorrhoids. On Friday I managed to get out for a walk to get my regular medication (I have several other health issues) plus additional Laxido as prescribed for follow up from the surgery. I've managed to move my bowels a couple of times since. It wasn't too bad on friday but the lingering anaesthetic in my system must have knocked my for 6 and I've spent most of the weekend unable to follow a set sleep pattern. Then last night I had a bowel movement and the pain returned and then some. Again this morning and even worse! I have been taking pain relief 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen 3 times a day and 2 tramadol twice a day. Laxido 3 times a day as well. It's so tempting to go fluid only for a few days in the hope things ease. I'm wondering if anyone has been through anything similar and roughly what was the time when things started easing. Been using the shower head, set to cool of course, twice a day as well, I don't have a bath in my flat. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get a sitz bath. You fill it just enough to cover your anus with warm, not too hot, water and rest there for a while (10 minutes+/-). It sits inside yout toilet bowl. you can buy them at drug store. Warm and cold are both impt. Try to stick with Ibuprofen and end those pharma drugs asap. They help but constipate which can be worse. Eat easy things like soup, pudding, easy in - easy out! 

• Posted

I'm in the UK.

I'm getting so many mixed messages as regards the pain relief front although my GP ishappy enough for me to be on the paracetamol, ibuprofen and tramadol. The three combined are the only things that take the edge at least off the pain, even with them, the night after a bowel movement I am in so much pain that I can't sleep. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are easily available and cheap. The Laxido is a laxitive which the surgeon has requested I take three times a day. The past two days it has been easy in, easy back up again as well! If I'm still the same tomorrow a call to the GP could be on the card as it could be playing havoc with my type 2 diabetes.

• Posted

So I managed to get early enough to the out of hours service at my closest hospital where i was given co-codamol to add to my list of pain killers, replacing the paracetamol. 

Today, whilst out shopping I bought some prune juice. I like prune juice and it gets things moving. 

?Earlier I've started experiencing severe diarhoea! Don't let yourself get constipated, tramadol and co-codamol can cause constipation! None of that here! What I'm passing has the consistency of water! 

?Even the cooling shower isn't helping. I'd have to order up a protable bidet thing to get the nearest thing to a "sitz bath". there doesn't seem to be anything available in the shops where I am in the UK. 

?So I'm looking forward to another slepless night. I'll call my GP practice in the morning. On the bright side, there's no more blood!

• Posted

So my GP advised me to ease of on both the laxative and the prune juice and the almost inssesent bowel movemnts eased back. I even went from Thursday morning to Saturday evening with no bowel at all! It was bliss! Late Saturday evening and a major, yet pain free at the time bowel movement. Less than two hours on and the pain level is through the roof again. On a level of 1 to 10 it's a steady 8 with occasional burst of a 12 every few seconds which go straight through the entire pelvic region! So both pre and post op, I am in severe pain after any bowel movement. Ensuring that I take sufficient laxative to keep everything as soft as possible just leads to more frequent bowel movement and ever present pain! There is no pain relief that seems to be working so if I have a bowel movement in the evening I have no sleep at all!.From Sunday at 11am until Thursday  10pm I had a total of 11 hours sleep. There is no bleeding but like I say the pain is as bad as before. I'm at a loss where to go now! Everything just presents me with the most unbelievable pain which is even worse when lying down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.