surgeon is pausing for urgent stone removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had a consultiontation yesturday (24/10/2016) with the urology surgeon and he confirmend after ultra sound scan 6 weeks ago that i have a 8 x 15 mm long stone stuck but what has got me a bit worried he has made it clear that he want to remove it as an urgent case subject to a CT SCAN although a bit unusal its ok or should i be more worried???

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    How bad is the pain from the stone? Often, they will leavethings alone until the stone passes on its own or until the pain gets too bad.

    Maybe your urologist has decided it isn't going to pass on its own and will need medical intervention. Because it's long, this might be the case so the doc may think its best removed now before it gets bigger.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I was admitted into hospital with severe pain and ct scan showed was 10mm ( 6 weeks ago) -and he put a stent in and gave me so many pain killers i rattle

    And said I was urgent and that I'd be in for stent to be removed and stones to be blasted so they are smaller to pass


    Booked in Halloween! he

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you, I'm a mum to 5 and I'd of rather given birth five more times!

      Pain has been Horrific but more to do with bladder being over sensitive and other complications

      My kids think. It's pretty cool I'm being operated on Halloween!!! Me on ova hand...not so smile

      From What I gather the larger the stone - as your are the more urgent they tend to get things moving

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    A bit unusual. I have had MANY stones, from 2mm up to 5.5 cm. If its non obstructing, meaning your ureter isnt blocked, it could be considerd an urgent case. A CT scan is considered the gold standard for stone imaging. Usually an xray called a KUB ( kidney, ureter, bladder) is done just prior to surgery. Hope this helps!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Vince

    I have since spoken again to the consultant over the phone as he wants me to another blood test but urgency is becase i have one kidney blocked and more stones hidden to show how serious they are taking this i have a CT scan with contrasting dye this sunday @ 08:30 am normally this for inpatiants only.


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up