Surgeon (NHS) refusing to carry out further treatment on hemorrhoids - advice please!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys!

I'm a 25 y.o male and have been suffering with stage 2-3 hemorrhoids for two years following a long term stomach infection. For many months local GP's telling me nothing was wrong and to leave it alone. It was only after kicking up a huge fuss did they finally refer me to a surgeon who confirmed I had 3 malteaser sized hems in my rectum. They were treated by banding twice in the course of 4 months to no avail, and eventually I was offered HALO in April this year.

The HALO helped stop bleeding and reduced swelling/pain, but not enough that it no longer affects my life. And the itching - OH MY GOD THE ITCHING!! Also since the procedure I have been experiencing pinching of the nerves which cause sharp stabbing pains. About 90% of the symptoms are coming from the larger of the 3 hems on one side.

I had a follow up with the surgeon last month to discuss surgical removal as the constant itching and pain are still unbearable, but he has refused ANY further treatment on the grounds that it's too soon after my last op and also that it may cause further nerve damage. 

While I trust that he is giving me his best advice, I cannot comtinue to live like this and was thinking about booking further treament privately. I'm afraid to have a hemorrhoidectomy especially after what he's said, but I was considering going back to less invasive treatments such as banding or sclerotherapy now that the hemorrhoids are smaller.

I would be very grateful for any advice or personal experience you guys could pass on to me as I don't know what to do, I just know I can't "learn to live with it" as the doctors keep telling me.

Cheers!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So he hasn't refused any further treament, just further treatment so soon, which is probably wise, even though it is not what you want to hear.

I had banding done in April once, and it was still bad and went back 2 months later because of the pain, to which I was told to leave it, I remember after 7 months I was better, so it is best to give it time.

If concerned you can always get a private consultation for around £200 to discuss options and a second opinion, that's what I'd do.

• Posted

I understand his point, it's just that I'm going traveling around the world for a year next month and I'm desperate to not have these things ruin it for me! That's why I was considering sclerotherapy as a viable option.
    • Posted

Oh I see, shame you can't reschedule your trip.

It maybe possible to get sclerotherapy privately, I did, it didn't cost too much and I recall it did help for me, but it sounds like your are in a worse situation at the moment, and they may not do anything considering you've just had HALO.

• Posted

I rescheduled it for the HALO so I can't postone it again sad I'm happy to go privately, so I think sclerotherapy is worth a shot. At least if it doesn't work it can't make things worse!
  • Posted

Have you tried using creams/ointments/gels with cortisone to relieve the itching and reduce inflammation?  Some of these can be applied internally as well.  The more effective ones may require a prescription.
    • Posted

Oh I've tried EVERYTHING! Even creams from the US and Asia which are better than the over the counter stuff here. My surgeon most recently perscribed diltiazem hydrochloride along with amitriptyline for the pain, but I had to stop using the latter as it left me with terrible constipation. He's perscribed the cream to me before and it did nothing.  
    • Posted

Neither of the two prescriptions are specific pain medications--amitriptyline is an anti-depressant and diltiazem lowers high blood pressure.  I know that anti-depressants are sometimes given for pain when first-line pain medications don't seem to work (they can reduce muscle spasms which may be causing pain), but I've never heard of blood pressure medications being used for pain (I'm not a physician so I may just be ignorant).

However, since you're still in pain I agree with jed61610 about getting a second opinion.  I have the name of a surgeon in London who's supposed to be very good (a friend used him).

• Posted

I meant to say patientpod (not jed61610 who is you) in my previous post.
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear it's all too much. I'd immediately suggest you try getting hold of some Calcium Fluoride skin salts. Maybe you've heard of them but you have not mentioned them on the fairly extensive list of remedies you've been prescribed. Calc Fluor apparently addresses the elasticity of the veins and is often prescribed by homeopathy for varicus veins as well as piles. I began using calc Fluor 10 -15 years ago and it was the prime factor in my being able to manage my piles to stage 3 -4. Now following double hemmeroidectomy I realise that was some achievement. Believe me when I tell you my ass looked like a muffin when I suffered a blowout! Unfortunately you can't just walk into holland and Barrett etc and buy it off the shelf. You'll need to find a homeopath/Naturopathic chemist to make you some up or pay a bit more online (which I can't recommend). Either way I would get quite abit (say 90-120 pills) if you are going away for a month. You might also want to try some arnica tincture. You can rub a little on the external pile or perhaps put a little round your ring if need be. Very soothing!! Long term perhaps think about reducing red meat intake now if that's what you eat and making other dietary changes more veg and less oven ready prepared and processed foods. In my 5th week post op I'm certain that not drinking enough water was a contributing factor to me condition so now I'm on at least 2L per day (filtered).

Hope that sounds interesting.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into the calcium and try the arnica. Because my surgeon prescribed a cream to help reduce the hemhorroid size I abandoned all other ointments which I was using to combat the itching, but given that the prescribed cream hasn't worked I think I'll go back to the homeopathic options such as arnica and olive oil + tea tree oil. If I can't eleminate the pain at least I can target the itching!
  • Posted

Hello jed,  i am so sorry about what you are going thru.  I have no information or advice to give you unfortunately.  My hemorroids situation is not as serious as yours.  Just keep informed on what procedure could help you, medical advances move fast, and maybe work on something like meditation (don't laugh), we all know that a lot of what we are is controlled by the brain.  Good luck and keep positive...
    • Posted

I agree. I've just eliminated a lot of stress from my life and in the past week I've already noticed an improvement! Obviously I just want them gone but may have to accept that I need to wait it out and pursue natural remedies as well as things like meditation, rather than having them constantly operated on.
    • Posted

Hi jed61610

I've been practising Nichiren Buddhism with SGI for 18 years to wonderful effect. Google "waking the Buddha" by Clark Strand - a very good book about discovering the best 'meditation' for you.

• Posted

Thanks Rob! I'm moving to LA where I'll be doing nothing for 6 months so plan on taking up meditation and yoga. I'll check out the book!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.