Surgeon used wrong size prosthesis

Posted , 8 users are following.

four months ago I underwent THR at the Royal Orthopeadic Hospital in Birmingham 4 days after discharge I email the consultant to say I was in terrible pain ( I had my left hip replacement one year previously so I kn what to expect in pain levels. he saw me 3 weeks later and said it would settle down. He admitted they had trapped the lateral cutaenous nerve which created Meralgia Parasthetica in my thigh but this would go needless to say it hasn't. more seriously having paid to have endless test done privately the surgeon that did my left hip op told me yesterday that my pain is caused by the wrong size implant being used and it is moving in my femure causing all the pain when I try and walk. I am now having CT and ultrasound to prove that diagnosis. If confirmed I will have to have the whole operation done again with more months of rehab. To think prior to this I played golf twice a week climbed to the top of St Paul's cathedral . Needless to say the surgeon that created this has never bothered to contact me since December 2nd . The Royal Orthopeadic Hospital has been useless and don't even bother to reply to my emails and my formal complaint made on 12th December,  for anyone going there beware Mr Mc Bryde's web site makes many claims but be very sure you get a second opinion. The Irony of all of this I am employed by the NHS as a patient leader feeding back to them patient experience looks like I will be doing a lot of typing in the next few weeks

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul 

i have had 4 total right hips/ revisions in 13 yrs and I'm waiting for another 2 stage revision due to an infection. My first surgeon 13 yrs ago was Mr Chana and must admit he was useless made major errors which at the time wasnt good. I insisted on being moved to another surgeon and was put with Mr Dunlop who I can honestly say has been fantastic there are a few issues sorting the balls up that Chana did but I wouldn't want to be under any other surgeon than Mr Dunlop can't fault him at all. As for the hospital with the odd exception the staff were great. I wouldn't hesitate going there again under Dunlop.

• Posted

Hi Paul Seems to me that, there is more to this than meets the eye and an investigation needs to be carried out you have to go for him through a solicitor for damages and have his practice reviewed.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

i am so sorry to hear that u r in so much pain. I hope it's sorted out soon.

I too had to go thru a revision just 11 months ater my second hip was replaced, due to a recall by the manufacturer. 

It will pass with time. As right now the whole process you have to endure is frustrating. I hope u are give appropiate pain meds and instructions. How the wrong Sisie in applied to replace UR hip is a quandary. They have special surgical tables fir THR then once the hip is replaced they X-ray at the table to be sure all the components are fixed properly and the hips match and leg length are good.

Obtain your surgery report and X-rays that will tell the story & hopefully save you a lot of time. Good Luck.

Kindest Regards

3 time THR

HOPE

• Posted

You know Paul, it makes me very angry when medical doctors "PRACTICING" medicine will not hold themselves accountable when they make mistakes. And WHY DO WE HAVE TO PAY DOUBLE if they are at least humble enough to offer to fix the problem THEY caused!

In two weeks my revision is scheduled after a surgeon botched my THR. I have NEVER been so physically challenged nor suffered so much daily physical gut wrenching CRIPPLING pain in my life as was caused by my second THR. And feel cheated and numb that my surgeon seemed to not be able to figure out why I hurt so badly.

I have put in a call to an excellent attorney.

Dawn, U.S.

• Posted

Dear Dawn,

After  reading UR post I an so relate to all UR pain and issues. I am so sorry u have suffered so much and now must endure a revision. 

I hope that you have had pain meds to help u thru the bad days. 

I had to have a revision on my second THR due to a recall om the prothesis just 11 months after my surgery. I has to be redone quickly before the bone hase grown on the implant components to secure the implant.

I hope o can e his resolved soon. Many blessin sent your way.

((( HUGS )))

Hope

• Posted

I thought I had come through my thr really easily but on the past couple of weeks (op was early Dec) my pain levels in my operated leg are increasing. I have an approx leg length difference of 1cm (unoperated leg shorter) and have been advised by physio to 'walk normally' and go swimming etc. but, last few nights the pain in my knee and lower leg has been excruciating, as well as more soreness in the site of the op than I had at the time it was done. No swelling or redness. Really confused by this. Next consultant appt in 6 weeks. 
    • Posted

2cariad62,

I recommend that you not wait for six weeks, but instead call to report your trouble and ask to be worked in as soon as possible.

Hope it is something simple.

💛 Dawn, U.S.A.

• Posted

HI Paul, hope you got everything sorted.

I had a THR in the Royal Orthopeadic in Nov 2012, the was as a result of an RTA 2 years earlier. It was supposed to ease my pain, however for the past 4 years the pain has been constant.

I was having 6-monthly reviews at the Royal Orthopeadic who could not ascertain why i was having the pain.  I eventually moved my care to my local hospital in Portsmouth,  after a couple visits the surgeon has told me that the implant they have put in is too long, and also 10mm too wide.

I will now be back in the operating theatre to have this replaced in a couple of months. I will also be my surgeon about  the possible avenues of recourse for this.  Surely these guys can be held accountable for giving you the wrong replacement? 10mm out of tolerance is a mile in terms of the human body - Surely?  

• Posted

Hi Paul, I’ve sent you a private message as I have the same surgeon :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.