Surgery?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my fibula and the posterior of my tibia, slightly dislocated my

Ankle. My ortho said I don’t need surgery and to start bearing weight on it in two weeks?! I have a boot on and am in tremendous pain. I’m Questioning his advice and may look elsewhere. Anyone else have this and had to have surgery? I don’t want surgery if it’s not needed but am scared it won’t heal properly. He was in the room for 2 minutes total. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I would definitely look for a second opinion, bones take ages to heal on their own, you may have no choice but surgery.

As far as pain is concerned you should probably be on crutches and only have as much weight down as the pain allows you.

Good luck with this, you certainly hadn't seen the last of it.

• Posted

Thanks for your comment. I’m on crutches and in a boot, there’s no way in the world I can bear any weight on it right now. It’s almost like the Dr. had somewhere else to be! 
  • Posted

Marybeth 22535. Yeah you should go somewhere else for a second opinion!! And only two min for the visit Wow!!!
  • Posted

There are different  opinions medically as to how to deal with breaks. Some people recommend surgery. Others dont. There is no easy one way. Although some people subscribe to the opinion avoid surgery as last resort. 

I am not surprised you are in pain. You have two breaks and a dislocation! And it is going to take time to heal. Patience needed.  Have you got a good physio, used to working with someone with breaks? Thats what you need in terms of mobilisation and seeing you through the journey.

As you know breaks take about 6 months to heal at least.  Its a long journey.  See here https://loptonline.com/patient-education/injuries-conditions/ankle-issues/adult-lower-leg-fractures/

All the very best in your healing and recovery.

Ariane xx

• Posted

I agree you should get 2nd opinion. I'm almost 2weeks post op for broken fibula with tibia displacement. If the tibia was dislocated i was under the impression the ligaments tore so the only way to stabilize was to do to surgery. Sounds like your injury is almost the same as mine. You should not be WB for at least 6 weeks. Hope you find a better dr.

• Posted

Certainly it is good to ask for a second opinion.Plus it is normally good to have a good physio working with you to help who is experienced in exercises for people in your situation too. Bones take a long time to heal with or without surgery. 
  • Posted

A second opinion couldn't hurt. I imagine surgery is a option, and if the bones are very out of alignment. If surgery isnt needed,immobilization then weight bearing will speed bone growth. Your bones must be a "clean break" and still aligned. Have you seen your xrays? It is odd to not prescribe pain medication, did he recommend anything? You need a doctor who has time to answer questions and allay your fears

• Posted

Mary Beth,

Surgery is not needed if a fracture displacement (how far apart the broken bones are) is within a specified distance whereby the bones will fuse together without surgical intervention. Ortho doctors are trained to know measure and determine this.

Count your blessings! Surgery can impede healing time and comes fraught with all kinds of hazards.

I was astonished to hear doc wants you back on your feet in 2 weeks. While there is currently a fad or trend amongst orthopedic surgeons to curtail non-weight bearing periods in ankle fracture patients, this sounds really radical to me. (Traditional 'average' non-weight bearing time seems to be about 4-8 weeks, depending on a wide variety of circumstances).

If it were me, I would sit down with the practitioner and have him/her fully explain why the short period is safe. If you are still unsatisfied, do indeet get a second opinion. Your future mobility is at stake here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.