Posted , 1 user is following.

has anyone out there had surgery for bronch :?:

any info would be appreciated :?:

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

[quote:c85c82821a=\"johnp\"]has anyone out there had surgery for bronch :?:

any info would be appreciated :?:[/quote:c85c82821a]

I am now 69 years old. In September 2005 I had my lower left lobe removed. The surgery appears to have been successful as I am no longer troubled by a cough and there has been no need for any antibiotics

since my operation.

• Posted

Hi,

I doubt whether there are many who have surgery as the reported survival rates are relatively low at 70%. But it's something I am becomming increasingly interetsed in as as I get older I find the infections are more difficult to recover from. I'm 59 now, so I worry about how they will affect me in my 70's & 80's. At some point it may be worth me taking the risk. I've even thought of searching over-seas for surgery where in many countries finances dictate operations - so if you have the money, and understand the risks, then it may be easier than in the UK. I'll watch for your replies with interest.

Regards,

John B

• Posted

That's wonderful news Ingid. I suspect your brochiectasis was local, and therfore suitable for surgery. If the affected area is across all areas of the lungs, like in my case, then I don't think it's worthwhile removing part of the lung.

Is your breathing any better since the operation by the way? As you have reduced infections now, but you also have reduced lung capacity.

Best wishes

John B

• Posted

[quote:e234c1a6c0=\"Anonymous\"]That's wonderful news Ingid. I suspect your brochiectasis was local, and therfore suitable for surgery. If the affected area is across all areas of the lungs, like in my case, then I don't think it's worthwhile removing part of the lung.

Is your breathing any better since the operation by the way? As you have reduced infections now, but you also have reduced lung capacity.

Best wishes

John B[/quote:e234c1a6c0][quote:e234c1a6c0]

yes, fortunately my bronchiectasis was confined to the lower left lobe of my lungs. Until the age of 66 I had never had any problems with my lungs and I had never smoked. It all started with a persistent dry cough without bringing up any phlegm and a slight temperature. A chest x-ray was considered normal. I was never short of breath. I was first treated for post-nasal drip und reflux. Eventually (eight months after the chest x-ray) I had a CT-Scan (privately) when bronchiectasis was diagnosed and a sputum test at the same time proved positive. After the diagnosis I tried postural drainage which did not work and I had several chest infections.

As I did not want to suffer from recurring chest infections and having to take antibiotics for the rest of my life I decided to go for the operation at the Royal Brompton. I have not noticed any reduction in my lung capacity as the rest of the left lung has fully expanded and compensated for the lost lobe. I regularly play badminton and I recently climbed nearly 200 steps to the Whispering Gallery in St. Paul's! Regards Ingridx[/quote:e234c1a6c0]

• Posted

That's fantastic that your lungs have expaned to compensate for the op - I didn't know lungs were capable of this. Your're obviously doing all the right things! I walk in the Lake District when I can, and always feel better for the effort.

John

• Posted

My 16 yr old daughter first became sick at the age of 12 with the finding of an abcess in her right lower lobe. The abcess was drained and she was treated with antibiotics. In sept 2007 she developed pneumonia, after a CT scan in was found the \"empty pocket\" which remained after her first illness were Bronch. She had a wedge resection on 11/1 of her right lower lobe with the use of video assisted thoracotomy. Post op an area remained and it has been determined that the remaining right lower lobe needs to be removed, surgery is 4/2/08. The MD stated that they may have seen \"something\" in the right upper lobe. She is currently active with CT childrens medical center, but I have an appointment for her to see MD at childrens hospital in Boston Mass. The MD's do not know why she developed the Bronch. they suspect a very bad pneumonia when she was 12. All her blood work is perfect. She has a productive cough with brown/bloody soputum now and we just can't wait for it all to be over.
  • Posted

Hello , in reply to \"has anyone out there had an operation for bronchietasis\", Yes I had part of my lung removed when I was 17 years of age and have lived a very busy and normal life until now at 70 yrs . I find that I have again got bronchiectasis , and have now been told that really I have always had scarring and been seceptible to bronchietis but have put this down to a weekness since youth , however I would have taken more care of myself over the years had I known that it could come back , however I believe that I am not as bad as many and am controlling it withinhalers and antibiotics .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.