Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have to decide if I want surgery. I have prolapsed disc and a bulging disc. The surgeon is suggesting a disc fusion while also sorting the bulging disc.

I understand the procedure for bulging disc is pretty straight forward but the fusion is more of a risk.....I have a week to decide and was wondering if anyone has had a fusion? What was result?

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had fusion in February last year. It's helped me a hell of a lot. I've gone from being on the strongest of painkillers to having a paracetamol every now and again! I'm still in pain it's not going to go. I also had a discsetomy in March 2014 and it took me a lot long to recover off that. It's a long road and I think fusion is a choice only you can make as there can be complications. I have recently found out I have a problem with my neck now. It seems never ending.

wishing you the best

• Posted

Hi Pamela,I can sympathise with you.But all I can say is weigh it all up and really consider it because I have had a microdiscectomy.Then I had a revision op 12 months later.Since then I have ended up with nerve damage and can barely walk.I now have chronic pain and spend most of my time in bed.If I could turn the clock back I wouldn't have any operation at all.Good luck with whatever discission you make.Dean.
  • Posted

I haven't had any surgery but people I know who have had fusion surgery found it beneficial. I think it is surgically more complex and maybe slightly higher risk of error but I haven't met anyone whose condition was made worse by fusion.

Can I ask what are your symptoms?

• Posted

I have a bulging disc 2 prolapse disc 1 disc out of line and the bottom of my spine has too much movement .

Surgeon has suggested fusion sort bulging disc and metal plate and cage to support the lower part of spine.

At present I can't bend down, stretch up, lift drive far ,sit for longer than 30 minutes. Lie flat walk up stairs lean over or twist with pain...I have pain constantly in lower back buttocks left leg.

I'm just over 50 and have been unable to do my job since August I really want to get back to normality

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.