Surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

has anyone any experience of surgery for uc. I have been referred to a surgeon and he is telling me that I would need a surgery first to remove my colon to see if I have crohns even though I've been diagnosed with uc? then I would have surgery to remove the disease. he is also saying that I might not be able to have a pouch because my schfinkter muscles are weak. however the test came back as fine. he is now saying that I might not be able to have the pouch when he does the surgery and I will wake up and find out if this is the case. he is also saying that even if I have a pouch I will never get back to normal. I was referred to a professor Carlson at Salford hospital but they have ignored my referral and referred me to Mr Soop instead. my mind is in turmoil with it all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Tina1148 - I had my colon removed over 3 years ago then the rectal stump a year later. I decided not to have a pouch because, quite simply, they're a nightmare when they go wrong and I didn't want to take that chance at the age of 60. My life is better than before and managing a stoma is straightforward. I can do anything I did before and am drug free. You will inevitably hear that a J Pouch is a solution but my advice would be not to listen to third parties. Get as much information as you can and make a clear headed decision. Personally I'm happy with my decision.

• Posted

hi thankyou fir your advice. it is the thought of having a bag for the rest if my life that is putting me if surgery. I need surgery but I'm scared. it's a mine field

• Posted

tina1148 - I was also terrified too but had no choice because there was a danger of my colon becoming toxic. It's major surgery. All I'm saying is that, whatever you decide, you'll be better off. Many of my neighbors do not even know I have a stoma. I feel for you but promise things will improve following surgery. Be strong.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad that things have improved for you. I do not have a choice either and thank you for your words of encouragement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.