Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was told i was having a complete hysterectomy leaving ovaries. i had to go to er this weekend due to a bladder prolapse and when the dr in call gave me a report of my surgery the surgeon had taken ovaries; has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

it does happen often that depending on the case they go in and if there is damage or a need for the ovaries to be removed they will. that is usually discussed before hand though. were you supposed to have a total hysterectomy? which is tubes, cervix, and uterus. or tubes and uterus? usually if it is planned that the ovaries will come out it is called for example ...total hysterectomy with oophorectomy (meaning the ovary) or bilateral oophorectomy (meaning both) . I would definetly look over any paperwork and call them right away. the surgeons office that is. I do have friends who they had gone in to remove the uterus and other lesions for endometriosis and have had to have 1 or sometimes both ovaries removed. the situation was a possibility for me. I was able to have the total and keep them but later had them removed. it sounds like either getting a 2nd option with imaging or calling your surgeon is the best way to find out. good luck. I'm sorry

• Posted

i had a total hysterctomy , ive read over report it states ovaries normal so i dony understand why he took them i see him next week re bladder prolapse so i will ask him

• Posted

I am wondering then if the scan was read incorrectly. or they recorded the information wrong. hopefully the er was wrong and you will get some answers. personally the waiting would drive me crazy and I would call. have you had any symptoms of menopause? for instanst when I had my ovaries out separately by night 2 in the hospital I was already having horrible hot flashes or waves as I call them. it put me in sudden onset menopause which I guess can be a bit more extreme then gradual. I had my hair done a few months later for a wedding and even the stylist said she could feel the heat just radiating off of me. I hope you get some good answers. and good luck with the prolapse. I know it is really common after.

• Posted

meaning hopefully the er was wrong and they are still there. they once read my mother as having a cyst on her ovary even though she had hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy done over a year prior because of endometrial cancer. we joked she must have had a 3rd. but the point is she didnt. they read the ct wrong.

• Posted

had no symptoms of menopause at all . i called the surgeons office and spoke to his receptionist who said the report states both ovaries wete removed but to speak to surgeon next week for questions as to why?

• Posted

oh my gosh I am so sorry. what did you have the hysterectomy for if you dont mind me asking? the reason I ask is if it was endometriosis related there could have been a chance of lesions or scar tissue causing issue but obviously I am not a Dr just an all to experienced patient. I am so sorry this happened though. I truly hope that it was not something serious but that it was done for a reason and not just as a mistake. please let us know how you are. I imagine your on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster right now especially with already dealing with other issues. I hope someone else comments and can help. again I am truly sorry. it should have been explained that it was a possibility and certainly shouldve been explained that it was done and why after surgery in post OP. 😰

• Posted

thats why i cant understand why he took them

• Posted

I have zero clue either. I am so sorry. I know it would be wracking my brain. I dont usually jump the gun or ever say anything like this but if there is not a good reason I would look into legal action. not to mention it not being discussed with you. even if there was a serious reason it needed to be done. all I can say is I am so sorry.

• Posted

and I would furious, worried, upset, you name it. I hope someone else can chime in but remember your not alone. it's a tough enough surgery mentally as well as painfully but through in added worry. not close to acceptable. I will be thinking of you.

• Posted

and I mean afterward. it should have been discussed during recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.