Surgery 8/30 in constant pain please help

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey everyone in Keith. I just had surgery ORIF. and this FU×!\&! Sucks. Im in constant pain . the top of my foot is numb. Doc said that's normal. In going for first post op check up on Monday. Cany wait to get splint off even for a second. Im not sure i can do this. Im so depressed. I feel like a burden on everyone. And it's only been 2 weeks. Just needed to vent. If anyone can relate please respond. Thanks

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, it's been 8 weeks post surgery for me. It's not a fun time. I was cranky and mad that it happened. Then numb to it for awhile. You will get thru it though.

You have no choice. It will get better though. Hang in there. The numbness will fade. Your family is there to support you. Accept it. You don't want to risk delaying the healing process, that's for sure. We are all here for each other to gain support, share experiences and to vent to. Nobody else wants to hear us talk about are ankles every day, lol..

• Posted

Hey dawn thank you so much for reply. Not sure how to use this site and didn't see any replies so I posted another 1 so disregard when you see it lol. I've had 6 replies and they actually made me feel a little bit better. So thank you. I'll be posting as I progress through this journey. Thanks again

• Posted

Hey dawn...thank u so much for ur reply. This site is awesome. It really has helped ease the mental anguish lol. So tired of telling people what happened....lol I never had to deal with this much pain in all my 41 years. Anyway thanks again. O I didn't know how to use this site and don't see my replies so I posted another thread so disregard my latest post. Thanks again...keith

• Posted

No problem. It will get better for sure. The worst day for me was when I didn't need anymore pain killers after two weeks. Sadly they made me too groggy to care much. But when my mind was no longer in a fog I almost wished I was still taking them because I was mad and upset about it. Lol, but I didn't want to become drug dependant. I'm at week 8 and rehabbing it. It is still not easy but I can walk and see improvements. My goal is to be jogging by January. All of this happened from my dog running full force into me. Who would have thought a dog could do this. But I will never underestimate how strong a dog is. He's a lab.

• Posted

Hi dawn I just read you also had your ankle broke by a dog me too also a Labrador not mine I got a springer lab came running from behind and took my legs out three breaks discolated and torn ligaments people always seem shocked that a dog could do that much damage
    • Posted

I know. Mine was broke in 5 places. I am now paranoid when I go outside with him and when he runs around. But only him, not my horse who is quite stronger and outweighs him. Some sort of PTSD with the dog. I use the e collar and of he doesn't whoa on command he will feel the collar. I thought he was going to run around me, not into me.

• Posted

Hi keith

Hang on in there. I remember feeling like a total burden - hated not being able to do anything - even having a proper wash I had to have help with!! I broke my ankle 16 feb and had orif 25 feb. I am now bk to normal - walking, driving and full independance again! It does take time - I remember the worst part was in the cast as had to keep leg elevated and couldnt do much - crutches suck! But when I was out of cast and in boot - things got a whole lot easier! I ditched the crutches and hired a knee scooter - best thing I ever did - used it out and about and around the house and suddenly gained bk some independance - could cook meals - carry things into another room - it was a god send. Even went to NY and hired one out there! Physio was great and as soon as I could altho was painful and took things very slowly I got rid of the boot at the first opportunity and had to use cructhes again to start bk walking but perservere and u will get there I promise! Seems like a lifetime ago now! I would say I was properly back to normal at the beginning of may so does take its time! Also had vertigo from sitting and lying so much which was horrid so if you can get about a bit may be a gd idea. Just accept the help and know that there will be an end to this and u will get yr life back soon!! Good.luck with yr recovery and wishing u all the best!! Kate

• Posted

Hey kate thank you so much for your reply. I posted another cuz I wasn't sure how to use this site so disregard the other post lol. Yea I already got a knee scooter and yes it's great crutches were wearing me out. Mornings are the worst for me. I'm just trying to manage the pain at this point. I'll be posting as I go through this process. Thanks again....keith

• Posted

I'm just curious how long did the whole process take for u to be 100% like u are now?

• Posted

Hi Keith- I had my ORIF on 2/16 also - a plate, 13 screws. Most people hit bottom at about 2 weeks, where you are, and it is all up from there. It just takes time to get through the shock that your life is temporarily different. I am 7 mos out and feeling great, so don't worry, you will walk again and all will be good. You just need to figure out ways to get through this. I learned that no one wants to be around someone who is down and out, so I quickly learned to smile and be happy. Happiness turns out to be contagious and makes the time fly by. Talk about your trials on this site, if it helps, because others at home sometimes can't quite understand what you are going through. Think about people with permanent disabilities, and you will quickly realize that this is temporary and just the small stuff to get over in life.  Get a knee scooter with a basket and coffee holder attached, get some handles on your tub and learn to hop in and out (if you are in a cast) , and hang your leg over the edge. Take epsom salt baths when you get your cast or boot off. Go to PT and work hard. It's okay to take some Motrin etc. after your bone heals, when you are doing PT. It hurts a little bit as things fire back up...the muscles, tendons, and ligaments atrophy and this is normal. They come back. Make a list of all the quiet things you can do from bed because you have several months where you need to let your body heal. Do arm exercises from bed to pump the blood through your body to get oxygen to your healing ankle. Look exercises up on You Tube (there's tons of info there). There's no easy way to rush ankle healing, but it comes eventually. A lot of people on this site, found a big change at month 4 and felt really good at month 6. Get fresh air and a little sunshine and eat bone healthy meals. Don't drink caffeine in the first 7-10 weeks, while the bone is healing. Don't try to do too much on the injured ankle or walk on it, because you want it to heal correctly so you don't get arthritis later. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi keith - I would say in all honestly after 3 months I was walking properly again and driving etc. I was probably still nervous on it and getting some swelling if walking long distances. After 4-5 mths my confidence to trust my ankle again has grown and although some days I get the odd twinge and wear and ankle support these are very few and far between! Probably once in last 2 months! This last couple of months my ankle feels much much stronger, no swelling and actually feels totally normal. Sometimes stiff first thing in morn but goes within 5 mins really. I am not a jogger at all but have ran on it now and feel confident it is not going to just snap ha as when was back walking was just so worried of doing it again! Altho they say your ankle with the plates and screws will be stronger than yr normal ankle!!! It feels like forever but u r on the countdown now to get that cast off and when u get a boot u can take it off in the evening and do your ankle excercises to gently start moving it again. Keep it iced and elevated as much as u can and see the physio as much as u can. When they manipulate the ankle and massage it - its amazing how much your movements improve! Good luck with it all - i really feel yr pain but it will get better and as soon as the cast off then u r on that road to walking again xx
  • Posted

Hi Keith,

Hang in there.  Take it an hour at a time if you have to.  I spent the first four weeks of my recuperation on my (non-fold out) couch and three of those were with an external fixation device (not sure if you are wearing one?).  Sponge baths - dependent on others for food, etc.

Be easy on yourself and remember that "this too shall pass" and gratefully your convalescence will have an end.  I know I felt that each day was better.  Take the advice given to me here to "be patient" and let yourself heal.

Keep talking to us in this group.  We are here to support you.

• Posted

Hey Mary thank u for ur words of encouragement this site is great. At this point I'm taking 1 minute at a time. I have never dealt with this much pain in all my 41 years. I posted another thread cuz I didn't know how to use this site so disregard the other post. Thanks again....keith

• Posted

Keith,

I don't know pain meds but I really think you should reach out to your docs if you are suffering.  They would want to make you comfortable.  Just my two cents but I would let them know of your pain - even on a weekend through their answering service.  You shouldn't be suffering.

• Posted

Keith, 

How is your pain?  Is it still as bad?

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.