Surgery and living alone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please, I really need some help. First, I would like to apologize for my bad English, I am not a native English speaker.

So, I live alone, I am 30 years old and I will have an open surgery to treat an inguinal hernia and also to remove an hernia mesh that was put in a surgery I had two years ago.

That surgery was a laparascopic one, so I could handled by myself.

But what about this next one? Since it will be an open surgery, will I be able to deal with it alone? Will I be able to shower and get dress?

For the love of God, anyone can give me some advice?

Thank you!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tamara,

First of all, your English seems perfect, so no need to apologise.

I've never had this kind of surgery (touching wood) but I think you need to raise your concerns with your doctor or with the nurses of your surgery. They'll know better. If you do need help then I'm sure the NHS can arrange something.

You seem to be under a lot of stress. Try and keep it easy!

• Posted

I am in Brazil and here there isn't this kind of service. They will discharge me a day or two after the surgery with no help whatsoever. But I really apreciate your help. Thank you

• Posted

I just had open inguinal surgery 7 weeks ago and still am in pain. I needed help the first two days, even on pain killers. I could barely walk to the bathroom.

Now lets talk about mesh removal. You should really do a lot of research before you go through with it. I could not find many success stories. Many people end up worse off. Plus, there are only a handful of surgeons in the world that know how to do it. Please start joining hernia mesh forums online and talking to people. There is a good hernia mesh victim group on facebook called Mesh Removal Patients.

• Posted

Thank you so much Dan. I had no idea that Mesh removal was that serious. My doctor just said that if it hurt for over a year then we need to remove it.

I am concern about what you said. I don't know what to do. I'll ask to the doctor if I can stay in the hospital for two more days but I am pretty sure she will say no.

• Posted

There are other things you need to try before mesh removal. For instance, radiofrequency nerve ablation. Mesh removal should be your last option in that it could make you worse.

• Posted

I live alone and my surgeon removed mesh from an old hernia repair while he was repairing another one close by. I wasn't expecting this, although I knew that it would be open surgery as all my hernia repairs have been. Apparently the mesh had become tangled.

I have had 6 open surgery hernia repairs, going home the same day as the surgery and this one was particularly painful. However, I have managed by myself ok after all of them. The main problem is that they don't like you being alone for the 24 hours following a general anaesthetic. Also, get plenty of frozen ready meals in and plenty of food in general if you have nobody to shop for you. I tootled to the corner shop a week after surgery but you absolutely cannot carry anything heavy or you could damage the repair. So no ironing or hoovering.

You'll be fine as long as you rest and don't do too much. And keep on top of your painkillers

• Posted

It is great to hear a mesh removal success. Was it inguinal?

• Posted

Yes it was and although it was painful for the 1st week (especially when I first woke from the anaesthetic), everything turned out ok

• Posted

Who was your mesh removal surgeon? I need to get mine out. I had it put in 7 weeks ago and still in a lot of pain.

• Posted

Thanks for share your experience. I am really torn between the options. I really didn't know it would be this way. Now that I am searching about the complications of the hernia mesh I see the trouble I got myself into. Doctors just didn't inform me enough. Now I have to choose between the risks of the surgery or living in pain for the rest of my life.

Some people say that I can't go through the post operative alone. Maybe because I am quite small and skinny and my health is not so good.

My appointment is in 5 hours and I didn't decide what to do yet.

• Posted

Mr Bergin. He was based at the RVI in Newcastle, UK. I don't know if he is still there as this was 5-6 years ago. He has a good reputation but I don't know if mesh removal is his usual type of surgery or if he just did it because it was necessary at the time

• Posted

Not yet. i just had an appointment with my doctor. We talked about it and decided not to remove the mesh yet. It seems like I am going to live with this for a long time. I feel like my life just ends. Having pain 24/7 and not being able to do physical activities is the hell on earth.

I wish you guys the best. Thanks for helping me

• Posted

I actually never heard of it. Is it a treatment specific to this kind of problem? Do you know anyone who had success with this procedure?

• Posted

I have read some success stories. Yes, it is for your type of problem. Is is normally tried before surgery.

• Posted

If you have facebook there are a few good hernia mesh support groups with a lot of info.

• Posted

I am getting my mesh out this month. I will keep you updated on how it went.

• Posted

I wish you a good surgery and also an excellent recovery. I am sure everything is going to be fine. Thank you for let me know about you. I am all alone and having someone to talk, share experiences and learn is very important to me. (Please, forgive my poor english, I am still trying to learn...)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.