Surgery "ATIVAN" mightmare!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I currently had 3 vertebrae fuced or 3 level cage surgery. 8 hr. Brutal surgery!! Before surgery i listed all medication that i am allergic to wich is only ativan. After surgery i was in the worst pain i could imagine!!! They only gave me 1mg dilaudid every 3 hours. It helped for 1 hr then i was screaming for 2 hrs until i got more. The dr.s was wondering why i was having such a bad time and i said i need more pain med so then they thought i was a alcoholic and going through withdrawals! I do not drink! So it came down to that they were secretly giving me ativan to calm me down. So what everyone says on the 4th night i pulled all the tubes n iv out and went through the floor spraying blood knocking over the tv's pushing the nurses down. I guess alot of cops came and got me under control. I woke up n the morning not remembering anything with bruises down my back n left side. Then i said u people have been giving me ativan foresure, they said yes. I went and got xrays n ct scan and nothing looked broke. The dr.s admitted they were wrong and should of gave me more pain med. Ive been home for 2 wks and doing excellent im walking, dishes and going to stores and easy things. I only have pain in lower back mostly hip bones but not bad. I can sit now my leg, groin, but dont hurt anymore. Im 46 so i had to take the chance of surgery i could hardly do anything. I just needed to go over my meds and make sure i was going to be taken care of way better while i was in hospital!!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unbelievable dictor's  misstep, I am glad for you - it's all past now!!!

Stay well,

Take care.

• Posted

Unbelievable dictor's  misstep, I am glad for you - it's all past now!!!

Stay well,

Take care.

• Posted

Please, Gordon, disregard, my second reply, sorry.

Thank you.

• Posted

Thank you! I spent 4 years being very restricted. Feels wonderful getting my body back again.
    • Posted

Oh, you are welcome!

Yes, it is wonderful to feel wonderful!

• Posted

Hey Gordon! You mean your surgery worked and you are no longer in pain! That's wonderful! So happy to hear that someone got some reliief and is getting their life back! 
    • Posted

Im in pain just not bad. The things that use to hurt dont seem to hurt. Seems more like it's pain from the surgery. Mostly I'm getting pain in my right SI joint and lower back but if i walk around it losen up. 1 month ill know where I'm at. I'm taking 4 perk a day and they definitely help.

• Posted

Geez, that makes me so mad! Doctors just play God and treat you like you are a drug addict when  you truly need pain meds.  I had 3 surgeries over a 2 day period - fusions, cages, etc, and when I woke up, they had me on the same amt of pain meds I was on before the surgery. I couldn't move, eat, talk to my friends, do anything.  I kept crying and asking for more pain meds.  They told me that "other people" had the same surgery as me and walked out in 3 days!  I laid there 9 days unable to move, when they finally moved to a physical therapy rehab place, and there was a pain med doctor there who immediately tripled my pain meds so I would be able to do my excercises.  I was able to cut it in half when I went home.  So sorry you are going through this!

• Posted

Yeh the whole pain med crap is ridiculous! I was on and off 3-4 vicadin for the 4 years before surgery that last 3 times as long as what they were giving me. All they have to do is give you a stupid pill and your body will function. It's the difference between walking and not. I would of been out in 2-3days and avoided all the torture. I got up to 8 days. Sorry you had to go through it, hope you get all better!
    • Posted

OMG this is unbelievable!!!

I see this kind of things happening more than I could ever imagine!

Yes , it makes us mad and sad, too.

I am glad to know you went through all the suffering and it is now part of your past!

I keep wishing all in pain at this moment may get the the relief they need and that very soon all they are going through now may be far away in their  past!

• Posted

Yeah, I don't want to ever go through that again.  I live in chronic pain now, but not nearly like it was when I had that surgery!  That was brutal and cruel! I told the doctor that it was cruel of them to leave me with practically no  pain meds like that for 9 days!
  • Posted

Hi Gordand,

The storys that I could tell you!! I am 53 and preparing for my 3rd back surgery. I have degenerate disk desease, I am having a 15 hour prosedure done on the last week of January. My main conserns are getting proper treatment wile I am there. Your story sounds so familure to me, i have butted my head with many dr and nurses. If you do noit get enough pain meds you do not get the rest that you need to heal. Why this issue is a struggel every time I don't know. Well good luck with your recovery, it sounds like you are doing well. Rebecca

• Posted

Oh, dear, the docs unfortunately are pretty much the same - consultations, when they keep looking at us while we tell them the symptoms since the last time we saw them, or after surgeries when the leave the patients without a relief for the pain. They do not care and the nurses either.

I will be thinking of you and your surgery hoping you will have an unexpected excellent experience!!

May everything work in your favor!!

xxxxx

• Posted

DON'T TAKE MY ADVICE but after i get another surgery i will put my life back into my own hands! I will have whatever i need so i don't have to suffer. Unless you just had back surgery 5 hrs ago you cannot tell someone how they feel especially if you read it in a book or if its what someone else took. You would think the 50-100k we spend for a surgery that we would be the most comfortable people on earth. Good luck on your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.