Surgery decision

Posted , 21 users are following.

hi I'm new to forum , long story , don't want to bore you with too much, had plantar fasciitis for about 3 years now tried everything insoles,stretching strapping had cortisone injections in heal and ultrasound guided ones had shockwave therapy acupuncture and had coblation surgery  doctor has given me all treatment you can think of . Pain excruciatingly painful when I stand and even when I'm in bed it throbs all night .at the end of  me tether, now need to consider having them cut but so confused ,don't no what to do .anyone out there with any ideas cause I haven't  got any

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Angela, I tried the frozen water bottle and I also was doing the massage ball for 5 minutes a day. The key is to do it for 30 minutes a day. It is boring as hell and tiring. I do it in the bathroom and hold on to the vanity or sit on the toilet. I watch TV or youtube on my ipad when I am doing it.

My background story: I've had plantar fasciitis for over six months. I had a cortisone shot (did not work) and seven laser therapy sessions and two shockwave treatments which helped about 50%.  I only wish that I had read what this doctor said about using the golf ball six months earlier. He is an MD and specializes in sports medicine.

I do not have a golf ball so I am using this hard plastic massage ball with spikes which is also used for plantar fasciitis. I have been doing it for two weeks and it has really helped me. Like you, I was willing to try anything. This has done more for me than the other things that I have been doing, Good luck!

• Posted

hi lucy ,yes I've tried the rolling on all sorts of things, mainly while I'm eating dinner, or when I've eventually sat down at night .still didn't really help that much always feels a little better then it hits like a train with the pain shooting right up the back of my legs .but I'll keep with it   I've tried everything else .

• Posted

Hi Angela I have had PF for 10 years and ive had everything the doctors can offer me apart from surgery. After an awful lot of tears, indecision and despair I am having plantar fascia release surgery tommorow on both feet. I hope it's the right decision. I shall send a post to say how I got on and maybe it will help you make a decision. Chin up. Amy.

• Posted

Hi Amy,sorry to hear that you have to go through this too.its a long hard road to getting anywhere as the doctors don't like to do this operation unless everything else has failed.i have a couple of weeks to make the last decision but I'm so scared of making it ,once there cut there cut ,no going back.But when all else fails what do you do,,,, I Carnot stand being in so much pain any longer .

i really do wish you all the best and hope your operation goes well  please let me know how your doing wishing you lots of love    Xxx

• Posted

Hi Angela, so I had the PF partial release surgery yesterday. It took 4 hours in total but only about 15 mins on each foot. Being awake in theatre was really hard mainly because I could hear them snipping away! However there was no pain because obviously they numb your feet, just uncomfortable. I have to rest and elevate my feet for 2 days. Did a few steps yesterday which was difficult as my feet were still numb but I've done some more steps this morning with my mums help and hanging onto a lot of walls! Feet are starting to wake up now which is uncomfortable and of course it's hard to say if the pain I've had for 10 years has improved because now I've got pain from the operation! But it's early days, I shall continue to post about how I'm getting on. Amy X

• Posted

Sounds like you had a big day, hope things start to improve for you now and you can finally get on with things.hope your not in too much pain I suppose after constantly been in pain for so long you will hopefully see an end in sight soon .make sure you do as your told and rest    Take care  let me no how your doing when you feel a little better 🤕

• Posted

So it's day 5 and I walked down the stairs this morning! I can now walk unaided. I am finding that I walk on the outside of my feet because otherwise it feels like my stitches are going to burst so I'm gradually trying to turn my feet in so this doesn't become a new issue. Still in the bulky bandages and post op shoes which makes bending my ankles quite hard. Full nights sleep last night with minimal pain. I'll keep posting. Amy X

• Posted

Glad your getting around now actually getting some sleep  keep up the good work . I'm so happy that this may have worked for you. Take care x

• Posted

Angela, there is also a procedure called "ultrasonic fasciotomy".

Fortunately, a minimally invasive treatment is available for patients with plantar fasciitis who otherwise have not found relief. Percutaneous ultrasonic fasciotomy uses the Tenex Health TX tissue removal (debridement) system, which Mayo Clinicdoctors helped develop. The procedure, which can be done in a doctor's office, can be used on elbows, shoulders or other places where tendinopathy (irritation in the tendons) may develop, as well.

Here's how it works. Before the procedure, imaging tests -- such as ultrasound or MRI -- are done to determine the location and extent of the degenerated tissue. Once the specially trained physician has a clear picture of what's going on, her or she numbs the skin over the area and makes a small incision -- just large enough to insert a needle-like probe.

The physician then inserts the probe into the opening, guided by ultrasound imaging. The probe's oscillating tip produces ultrasonic energy, which breaks down the damaged tissue directly ahead of it. At the same time, a built-in inflow-outflow fluid system simultaneously irrigates and sucks up the broken down, or emulsified, tissue. Once all of the degenerated tissue is cleared away, the probe is removed, and the incision is closed with adhesive skin tape and a pressure bandage. The whole procedure takes only a few minutes, and complications are few.

After the procedure, patients must rest the area for several days and may need crutches or a walking boot to relieve pressure on the foot. But, they usually can get back to their regular routine within a week to 10 days, although it might take several months before returning to the activity that prompted the plantar fasciitis. Improvement continues as the tissue heals. Some people may benefit from additional physical therapy.

The procedure may not be appropriate for patients who have a complete tear in the fascia, but those with plantar fasciitis that hasn't responded to initial treatment should talk to their doctor about all of their treatment options, including ultrasonic fasciotomy. -- Jay Smith, M.D., Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.

• Posted

Thanks for the information Lucy I'll show it to my surgeon when I see him to see what he thinks, I've not heard of this procedure but he most probably has so I'll talk to him thanks for you advice x

• Posted

my sister is having hers cut .she like you is in agony.mine not to bad at the moment just twinges.
    • Posted

Hi moggie hope you sister is ok it really isn't a nice condition to have so it's nice that you can support each other  x

• Posted

So it's a week after I posted about having had bilateral PF surgery (it's now day 11.) I have been confined to the house for this time which has been difficult and boring! However I am walking around the house quite well. I still think I can feel my PF pain in the mornings when I first get up but at the moment I'm just glad that it doesn't seem worse as I was so nervous about surgery. I've had pain in my left arch, mid foot and calf where it feels like they are going to burst when I stand on my foot. I don't have this in my right foot which leads me to believe (and hope) that it's because there is a lot more bandage on my left foot which is making a really high arch instep. I get my bandages off and stitches out Monday so time will tell. I think after I've got the bulky bandages off I will be able to fully assess the success of the surgery. Amy.

• Posted

Nice to hear your feeling ok glad the pain doesn't seem worse  really hope it's gone well for you keep us posted x

• Posted

It's been 3 weeks post my bilateral PF partial release surgery. I had my stitches out and bandages off a week ago so I am now able to walk around normally in trainers and drive! I'm pretty certain my right foot has improved in terms of PF pain. It still hurts in the morning but it gets better quicker, after about 10 mins rather than an hour I can put my heel flat to the ground! My left foot is another matter. The PF pain is hard to put my finger on and is potentially better but any improvement is masked by this pain I have. I thought it was from the amount of bulky bandage under my arch causing aching pain in my mid foot but a week after the bandages came off its still there. After I have been walking for a while I have very intense pain in my little toe and next toe, then through my mid foot and shooting up my calf and into my thigh/bottom. It feels like nerve pain. Also my little toe and the pad of my foot where my little toe joins is very numb. Having said that I am able to do more walking everyday, after all I'm used to painful feet! I do think it's important to walk through the pain to a point to build up the muscles and ligaments again but if it continues I will phone my podiatrist. Keep you posted. Amy.

• Posted

Hi Amy nice to hear from you .are you glad that you made the decision to have the op, I see my surgeon later today and have to give him my decision, I've changed my mind so many times this week but have decided to go ahead with the operation as everything else has failed  I'm still uncertain that I'm doing the right thing but I have no other option as we have tried everything else .i hope your pain improves soon  take care x

• Posted

Hi Angela, yes I would say I am glad I had the operation. I think this pain will go away and judging by my right foot I think it is better. I have to remind myself it's only been 3 weeks and they said it could take up to 6 months to feel the benefits. For someone who has tried everything like us, I don't think you can not have the surgery because it might be the best thing you ever did! I hope you're appointment goes well and that what I have said over the past few weeks has helped you to make a decision. I would say that so far is hasn't been as scary as I thought it would be and so far yes I am very glad I had the operation because I can say to myself now I've done everything I could do and if it still doesn't fix it then at least my mind is at peace x

• Posted

Hi Amy I've been to see my surgeon today who has recommended the surgery after looking at all the other options and surgery that I've already been through  we've had a very long conversation about the future prospects for my feet and so we've decided to go ahead with the surgery one foot at a time, so hopefully I can try to get my life back, thanks for thoughts on this it has really helped . X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.