Surgery done!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had been waiting three years for surgery to remove my ovarian cysts. The last MRI (over a yr ago showed three large cysts, 17cm on the right hand side, two 10cm on the left hand side ovary). Went in on Monday as a day case for removal "cystectomy". When I woke up I was told that they had changed op to a laparotomy rather than laparoscopy due to size of cysts and needing to take them out as a solid mass as when they saw them they weren't sure what they were exactly. They called oncology in to get their opinion. They removed the cyst on the right hand side (the largest). It had eaten my ovary and fallopian tube so nothing was left other than the "cyst" which was a solid mass, not fluid filled, officialy now a "tumour". The left hand side they left alone, taking just a sample from the left ovary to biopsy and find out what the tumours actually consist of. They are hoping they are benign. 

I am not sure why they left the left hand side ones in place it wasnt really explained. I have to go back for the biopsy results. I think maybe if they are cancerous they will have to remove everything wheras if they are not maybe we can decide then what to do with them or we lose both ovaries of course. 

So... I have to go back to the hospital for biopsy results. They said they would send an appointment. I hope its soon as its really worrying!

The cesarean wound is not bad at all, I do have pain inside where the tumours are still but there is blissfully no pain on the right hand side where all that was removed. 

So glad it has been done. 

I am due to go back to work for 4 hrs on saturday then properly from Monday. I am a bit sore and slow, but I should be okay. Only spent two nights on the ward. Paractamol and ibruprofen is just fine for pain relief.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh, you have really been through the mill, poor thing xxx.

I hooe you don't have to wait too long, you shouldn't, as you don't know what to expect.

i would think---- not knowing your age, they woukd remove your other ovary.

It's way too early to think about going back to work, you need to heal properly. Might not feel too bad, but just think about what's gone on inside you.

take it easy, even if just in preparation for anything else that might come up.

best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you Laura, I have spent two days being waited on by hubby so I am more than ready to get back and earn us some money. I'm self employed so I'm not earning while I'm off work which is hard on the whole family. 

I am wondering why if they are likely to remove the other ovary they didn't just do that. Perhaps they may still have to remove uterus and all that if its cancer so they left the ovary too? I don't know. 

Hubby still wants to have a child so maybe they left it just in case its benign and we can work with it. 

• Posted

I would think that if they are benign-- fingers crossed, they will want to leave your other ovary if at all possible because you are still of childbearing age. Also the hormones produced will stop you going into an early menopause.
  • Posted

I am back at work today (Day 8) but wishing I wasnt! If I didn't have to do this, I wouldn't. Super sore. 

The nurse came yesterday to remove my staples but she didnt bring the instrument to do it or any dressings so she didn't do it! I read that I can have it done by Day 10 so I will probably have to go A&E. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.