Surgery finally approved and scheduled !

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 16 months of suffering with this terrible condition, I am on schedule to have a balloon dilation of my eustachian tube on Friday 7/7/17. All pre op testing has been done and  insurance approvals ok'd. I am both looking forward to and a bit anxious about the procedure, which should take about an hour under general anasthesia. The procedure is taking place at Delaware County Memorial Hospital in Drexel Hill, Pa. and is being performed by Dr. Satyen Undavia who was mentored by Dr. Poe of Boston who I'm sure many of you who follow this discussion board know by now. Please send out all of your positive energy in making this procedure successful. I will post again following the surgery with results and comments. I am very hopeful and optimistic that this will finally end  the misery and annoyance that I ( and we ) all are dealing with. Thank you all in advance for your support ! Peace and love to all of you !!!!!

Merlin Maruska

Trenton NJ 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Looking forward to hearing your outcome. There will be inflammation for 6-8 weeks, that's what Dr. Weeks advise me on. For me it was a painfree procedure. I made my 3 month mark on June 6th. Unfortunately, for me it didn't work. Why? I don't know.

I have never had any problems with my ears, no infections, no allergies, no sinus problems, just caught a bad cold/ virus and my tubes shut down.

Please keep us posted. Good luck!!

• Posted

Dear Merlin,I sincerely trust you have a positive result from the procedure & that you'll keep us informed .

Michael

• Posted

Good luck Merlin!    Sending positive energy.    Can you share what you e been through and experienced?    I believe I'm a candidate for the same procedure.   For the last 2-3 months I've been dealing with inner ear pressure, pain, dizziness and hardly any improvement from multiple nasal sprays.   It's depressing.  

• Posted

Thanks for your support. It's very much appreciated ! In a nutshell, this is the second go round for me with ETD. First time one application of prednisone ( steroids ) , and antibiotics cleared it up in a few days. This time around, it's been 16 months of constant 24/7 clogged right ear. No pain or dizziness for me. Some decent days, mostly bad ones. No type of treatment has helped . I've had steroid treatment again, a brain MRI, a tube inserted in my right ear all to no avail. Finding someone close by ( NJ ) to perform the balloon dilation of the Eustachain Tub was  also a hassle. Finally found Dr. Satyen Undavia at PInnacle ENT in Upper Darby area, a suburb of Philadelphia, roughly about an hour and a half ride from Trenton, NJ. After my exam he was satisfied that I'd exhausted all of my options and was a candidate for this new procedure. I'll also let you know that because the procedure is so new it was somewhat of a small struggle to get my insurance company to cover costs, but in the end they were convinced my life was in the toilet over this and approved all costs.Like yourself, one of the things that has helped me with the depression aspect was to ask my GP to prescribe an anti anxiety med, as i had read this was helpful.....and it has been for me. I take a 1 mg Xanax 2x a day and has been a godsend in that respect. Not a cure, but relaxed and distracted me from the symptoms. Well this turned out to be more of a nutshell than I thought. I wish you well and hope that you find a way out of this condition.I'll let all of you know how the surgery went as soon as I can. 

Peace,

Merlin

• Posted

Would you be able to share what pre-work up you had done first before surgery to determine how they checked your eustachian tubes, nose, ears etc?  I have not come across anyone yet stating what specific tests-work should be done to help diagnoses. This would be very helpful for self-advocacy to request them from Drs. if they've not been done. Any specific type of radiology scans done for this? Thx.  -V.

• Posted

Hello Merlin,

There are a group of us that would love to hear any progress or lack of it from your Eustachian tube dilation procedure. What insurance company do you have that finally approved it? Hope it's working for you!

• Posted

Yes!! Would LOVE to hear your progress. I've only know 1 person that it was successful.

• Posted

I see no reply from Merlin aftyer a month,so I guess nothing positive.I do hope I'm proved wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.