Surgery for Lumbar Stenosis & Sciatia surgery success rate UK

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am looking for some further advice from those who had surgical procedure for Lumbar Stenosis Spondylolisthesis that causes sciatica pain bilateral [in both legs] what was the success of your op' & which procedure did you have ?

advice very welcome.

I have seen 3 neuro surgeons all with conflicting advice....leaving me very confused & completely stressed out

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi G, well I'm exactly one of those patients except British in Australia. Look in honesty a lot depends on your history of lumbar spinal degeneration IE how long you've had it, the degree of stenosis and slippage, whether you've damaged some nerves or not and your activity level. I had L3-L4-L5 stenosis and spondylesthesis. Saw 2 neurosurgeon. One said fusion at 2 levels with open surgery (I also have 's optics and twisted in lumbar area). 2ND said could get away with single level fusion at L4-5 the worst spondylesthesis but couldn't guarantee permanent fix. The other recommended minimally invasive Single level fusion at L4-5. I had fusion at L4-5 about 10 months ago. Recovery is slow, not so painful after surgical would is healed but frustrating as u need to wait for bone to fuse together. My pain level has decreased but new different 's optics has returned which is numbness in areas that wern't numb before and the pins n needles, burning pain and tightness associated with nerve damage I had before. I'd say the procedure was a success because the lumbar spine is fused and stabilised at L4-L5 which will prevent further slippage in the future but most symptoms are still here as well as some new things. My surgeon is talking about having a 2ND fusion which horrifies me as I am (was) extremely active. To give you better advice we need to know more details about your condition.

• Posted

Hi Maggie thanks for your input.

I have had  mild stenosis for around 10 years I am now 68 years old, the sciatica I have now in both legs started 12 months ago. the levels that are noted are L4 L5 S1 & slight Spondylolisthesis [grade 1]

only one surgeon out of the 3 surgeons who did a cervical cord decompression "ACDF" on my neck 5 years ago a total success  has mentioned fusion for my lumbar spine but for some unknown reason now does not want to operate he passed me onto one of the others who just want to do a bilateral decompression & laminectomy & one of the neurosurgeons advised against it he said it could make he pain worse & if he was me he would not have it done, so with this surgery I am worried that the stenosis will return as we all know bone does regrow .

I am at my wits end right now 

• Posted

Hi g

Well it doesnt sound all that bad to me, although its easy to say if you are not the sufferer. I wish I could have got away with just a decompression and laminectomy. I think you should heed your doctors advice and see if you can get away with passive support such as physio, chiro stretches etc until you absolutely need a laminectomy.

Avoid a fusion at all costs if possible!!! Bone does grow back but at a very slow rate. If you cut out all high impact activities there should be no great reason for spurs to return

• Posted

Hi Maggie

I don't do any high impact sports at 68 yo' the chance would be a fine thing..i do ride motorcycles & I don't get any pain at all when on the bikes.

regarding bone spurs looking the Arial view of the MRI it just looks like narrowing of the tunnel most on the left side which is why my left leg has more pain full sciatica than my right.. but the pain can move around from side to side that's why I thinking they maybe some instability, hence my thoughts on fusion...but I have been giving it some thought today [its been a good day with not much pain] & I think I might wait and see how it goes...the only other issue/problem is I need  right hip revision surgery & the hip consultant say's the op' could make my back worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.