Surgery for not for Meniscus Tear?

Posted , 4 users are following.

MRI results last week revealed the following:

Mild longitudinal complex tear of posterior horn of medial meniscus.

Mild contusion at inner posterior horn near posterior root of lateral meniscus

Would surgery correct this problem more than rehab?

History of injury: Non-displaced patella fracture and meniscus tear as a result of a motorcycle accident 18 months ago. I finally built back my leg muscles through rehab, but I still have some pain. I was finally running again pain-free, but suffered a setback after doing squats and some more intense activity. Went for an MRI to see what the problem was (see above)

Doctor said to wait 3 months and if there is still pain, surgery is an option.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Some m-tears can heal on their own with time and therapy.  Meanwhile, I'd avoid the pounding that running does to a knee.  Back off and let it heal.  If it doesn't, all it takes is a simple arthroscopy.  Had four done years back, two each side...two were m-tears.  For me, recovery was never an issue.  Op on a Friday, weekend icing and elevating, took my portable CryoCuff to work on Monday.  Done in a week.  Some people have more of a problem with a scope...never know...but it does fix the tear.

• Posted

Thanks for that. My meniscus tear is the result from my accident a hear and a half ago and it was bothering me less, and I started jogging again. Then I got over-confident and pushed it with some barbell squats and burpees and now it's been hurting for 3 weeks, so I can't do any running again. Really hope it's just a flare up and I can avoid surgery. In the meantime, your advice is well noted.

• Posted

Meniscus arthoscopy repairs over time as we age = TKR.
    • Posted

Less and less cartilage in there from successive surgeries plus the inevitable arthritis...yes, at least for me, ended up in a TKR.  However, Synvisc helped a lot for many years plus a big move to a much warmer climate helped.  First scoping in 2001...TKR in 2016.  I was pretty lucky, I guess.  The other knee needs it too but right now there is absolutely zero pain so I'm putting it off as long as possible.  After 45 years of hockey, the bill comes due...only regret is that those hockey games have been gone a long time now and will never come back...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.