Surgery for old comminuted fracture of the clavicle.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I am writing this on behalf of a friend who has a comminuted fracture of his clavicle some months ago when he had a car accident . He is now awaiting surgery.

​Has anyone else had any experience of this type of injury and subsequent surgery?  Is it a successful operation?

​Many thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi as with most fractures of this type it will depend on whether it was left to heal conservatively and is now showing signs of non union or for some reason they decided to leave surgery till now.

Has he had xray recently

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. He had a car accident in June whilsy abroad but the comminuted fracture was not operated on now he is in a lot of pain and x rays show ;spurs and bits sticking up'.

He is unable to use his arm properly. For example cannot pick up a full bottle of milk.

He is awaiting surgery but worried about healing and regaining the function of his arm as the injury was not operated on at the time.

Any info would be helpful. Many thanks.

• Posted

Hi sorry for delay in answer but Chico is right, mostly they will just shave off any bone spurs as they will cause lots of pain so once he's had it done he should be loads better and although he will be in a sling for a while the prognosis is excellent

• Posted

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I will pass on the info to my friend.

He is in a lot of pain and this is causing him a lot of worry as he lives alone and is worried about th future.

x

• Posted

Hi ice, I don't know how old he is, but because he lives alone he can ask for some help, if he has an OT then they can put forward a care plan that will give him support for 6 weeks, so long as he's UK based of course, having the use of only one arm can be pretty scary and I would imagine its not easy to do some of the every day things like even chopping veg or peeling a potato, we do take our bodies for granted don't we

• Posted

Hi The man is aged 60. He is scared stiff.

However I passed on your sound advice etc to him so hopefully that will allay his anxieties.

Thank you once again. x

• Posted

No problem, I totally sympathies with him, pain is something we all find hard to get our heads round and to be honest most of us are scared sh## less at the thought of surgery but he will be fine, tell him to make a list of anything that's worrying him and ask for detailed answers, knowledge is the key to conquering fear and easing our minds

• Posted

My daughter did that in high school...she's now 38.  After rehab, left a 1" scar (barely noticeable) on her shoulder.  My wife just had surgery for a full thickness tear of her rotator cuff with the clavicle and acromium rubbing bone on bone.  Docs fixed the tear, shaved back both bones and got rid of all the spurs and arthritis.  Same 1" scar...rehabbing well.  No expected complications; regaining full ROM.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.