Surgery for reflux did it work for anyone !

Posted , 5 users are following.

ive had relfux for past two years and omprorazole didnt work. they are now sending me to test acid levels in my gut dnt know how. dont know the procedure they use. But depending on the out come maybe sugested surgery. Just want to know if anyone has had an op and felt better or gone alltogether

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I had the Nissan fundoplocation in September 2016. Before the op I was on 60mg of lanzoprozole and since the op I haven’t had to take any medication. 

I do still have a bit of a tickly cough but they think that is now related to a post nasal drip so currently waiting to see what they will do.

Hope they get you sorted

Louise

• Posted

Sthnx for the reply see im a bit skeptical about it all as my symptoms vary between feeling sick or being sick. Breathlessness and gurgling chest especially at night i just want it gone and my life back lol do u have any symptoms as such as these
  • Posted

I had my op 8th June 2016.

I was on nexium maximum amount, ranitadine max amount and lots of gaviscon. And I still had reflux and acid, I sat up to sleep in bed..

Now I take no meds for acid no reflux, I can burp and not have food from my stomach come up, I have a much more comfortable life after having problems since I was a child.

Only compromise is smaller portions of food, eat slowly, and put up with lots of gas from both ends..

Best wishes to you.

Margaret

• Posted

well im hoping somthing helps me and glad it worked for u. im having a pain in the centre of my chest as we speak lol its horrible and kinda scares me i allways assume it must be due to reflux but then i allways think wt if its my heart sad is that a normal symptom i get it on odd occasions
  • Posted

Hiya

Yes I did. I basically felt constantly sick and I had suffered for 10 years before the op. I now feel like I have got my life back. It’s the best thing I ever did although very nervous before having it done

• Posted

Surgery????  You'll be lucky if you're in the UK? They'll just keep pumping you full of pills! Omeprazole etc, PPI's. They are the worst medication i'v come across, robbing your body of magnesium, took me 3 years to realise they were causing Anxiety spikes in me.

• Posted

thnx for the reply all . And yh they are a joke aint done anything for me for 2years even tho i tell them over and over they dont work just either uping the dose or trying others now they want me to try eomaprozole ? . so now finally they are gunna test the acid levels i dont no how they do this and the procedure. But depending on the outcome they mentioned surgery ill just be glad to have anything done that can help. Feeling breathless is horrible carnt stand it
  • Posted

Hi Chris.

Esomeprazole (nexium) was the last ppi I was taking after about 10 years on omeprazole, I found it worked better, but doctors had to apply for funding for it as its a bit more expensive, at the same time she put in for funding for the op, I got both, but no longer take ppi.. The list of symptoms for reflux is very long and it varies from person to person, from weird pains to runny nose, ear ache, strange smell etc etc..

I found no mater what I ate because of the hiatus hernia I would reflux everything even if I drank water I would burp it back up.. The valve wasn't shutting properly so most things creeped up.. It shuts now and for a while it was a weird sensation when I burped and nothing came up, I had been like it since a baby, I was 46 when I finally had it fixed so have never experienced a normal stomach till now..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.