surgery/heat/popping

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was diagnosed with cellulitis 3 days ago.  It started as a small pimple or ingrown hair on my butt cheek and then grew and grew.. the larger it got, the higher my fever went.  So, I went to the doctor.  The doctor gave me 2 antibiotics.  One appears to be for bacteria and the other looks like it is used to treat staph infections.

My questions:

1. If oral antibiotics don't work and he has to remove this by surgery, is there immediate relief?  How big of an incision?  Would it require stitches?

2. Why do they say to apply heat to it and not ice/cold?  Cold usually helps for swelling.

3.  If I can pop it myself, should I?

Thank you all for your answers. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

From what I read surgery is not common with cellulitis.  The drugs should help. Yeah, no idea why some docs say hot.  I was advised cold which reduced swelling and certainly helped with pain.  (20 mins on/off so not to burn the skin!!!) I would not pop it myself.  Read up on another fun ailment abbr H.S.  It's Hidradenitis Suppurativa. My sister had it and it was painful.  She was extrememly lucky since she was properly immediately diagnosed.  Most on her HS forum are not diagnosed for ages and then suffer long term as a result.  I am not saying it is or isn't cellulitis or HS, just that when you hear of it on the buttocks, it's often HS.  If you google it, mayo has a good reference to it.  

Good luck!

• Posted

I read up on Hidradenitis Suppurativa and it looks like it happens to people younger than me.  I'm 45.  Also, I've never had this happen before and I don't know of any of my relatives ever having it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.