Surgery in 3 days - so scared!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I've posted here before but it's finally time, my surgery is on Tuesday and I am freaking out! After over a year of chronic nausea and stomach, chest, and back pain I had a HIDA scan of 0% and was scheduled for surgery. I am worried about several things, but the biggest concern is side effects from the anesthesia as I am emetophobic (fear of vomiting). I am also afraid that the surgery won't work or that I'll be worse after, like many people who post here.

I am so frightened about the surgery I am having trouble sleeping and having regular panic attacks! Please help! From anyone who has gone through this, what was it like? Did you have nausea or vomiting? Do you feel better now? Thank you!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone, it's been just over a week and I thought I'd check in. The incisions from the surgery are really healing quickly, I barely have any discomfort anymore and can sleep on my side, take walks, drive, be out and about all day, and no pain. So that part is going great.

However, I'm still getting nausea from time to time, not as consistently as before but when it comes on it's pretty severe. I had an episode in the middle of the night the other night that lasted for a few hours, and then today after 2 days of feeling well I have felt nauseated all afternoon. I am eating very low fat and the trigger doesn't seem to be food.

Did any of you have or continue to have nausea after the surgery for a while? My mom says it's normal and it will just take a few weeks to settle down. I'm glad to be having some good days but when it hits it's so discouraging because I really wanted to just feel better!

• Posted

Glad to learn you're doing much better.  The nausea should settle in a while. 

A word of caution, though. Please check with your insurance company before driving.  You may not be covered if, God forbid, you had an accident so soon after having surgery!

Take care!

• Posted

Good idea Lynda! My doctor told me I could drive after 48 hours but I will check with the insurance company as well. Thanks!
    • Posted

Well, I hope that my concern was needless, and I brought this up because someone else mentioned driving soon after surgery, and another lady had the thought it might not be covered!  

Please let me know what you find out, will you?  Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.