Surgery in a week

Posted , 1 user is following.

Gday, im 21yrs old and for the past 6 or so years i have noticed smelly discharge coming out of my right ear ever since i water skied for the first time, Been to a few doctors which have given me drops and have said its just an infection, until i went for a hearing test for the job i was applying for. They noticed i had a perforation in my ear which i didnt worry about at first until i got my results back and said i had hearing loss in my right ear and gave me a referral to see an ENT in Sydney, Australia.

After meeting up with Dr Alex Saxby in Sydney he has told me i definitely do have cholesteatoma, and being 6 years that i havent had anything done with it, it could have possibly built up a fair bit past where he could see with the camera. I am having surgery next week (25.01.23) which on the paperwork ive been given it has written for the procedure RIGHT EAR Endoscopic Removal of Cholesteatoma: +/- mastoidectomy + ossicular chain. Not so worried about the procedure as ive seen Youtube videos of Dr Saxby perform similar to the surgery.

I have read a bit about other peoples experiences about losing taste on the side of surgery, balance being effected. My main concern is my hearing as i do require it for the new job i am wanting to get, what are peoples experience with this surgery and gaining hearing back, i dont mind the idea of hearing aids if it helps with my hearing.

Also how long am i expected to take of work? i am a Ag Diesel Mechanic which does require heaving work loads.

Any other experiences id love to hear from you.

Cheers

Hamo

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.