Surgery on Wednesday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've had diverticular for the last 5 years with 2-3 hospital stays a year plus antibiotics at the doctors. I had a hospital check up on Friday where the doctor said that I need to have surgery to take the affected part of my bowl away and that I will need to have a temporary stoma he said he would like to do this as quickly as possible and I said OK as we've tried everything else so then he says that he can do it on Wednesday of next week my head is just spinning what I would like to know is other people's stories and what to expect and any tips to help me thro it thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello June

just to wish you all the best for your op. i had 18" taken away 3 years ago and it was fine. no probs and dont be scared of going to loo afterwards as it will be OK. food goes through a bit quicker now but never looked back so I hope you manage OK. you will get a good stoma nurse who will be very patient with you while you deal with the bag "stoma". look after yourself afterwards and take it very slowly. its a major op so be patient for the time to be really well again. xx

• Posted

June!

be happy, you're lucky to have it scheduled and no emergencies! This is the best decision and you will be so happy as everything you have gone through in the last five years will be no more! airyfairy is correct in everything she said --its major surgery that many of us have been through..... the temp stoma ...and the best tip is patience because its major surgery ! next Wednesday is awesome! you dont even have to wait and think for weeks like so many people. consider yourself lucky. dont be shocked by the stoma, DOC said its temp right? second best tip: tell yourself my surgery is major, bowel has to rest, stoma is temporary.❤

• Posted

I am currently under going bowel prep to get my temp colostomy reversed in literally 12 hours from right now, getting that terrible stuff cut out is a blessing, it takes a bit of getting used to initially but you'll be a colostomy expert before you know it.

I've had all kinds of anxiety for my surgery tomorrow, I've found studying the procedure and my surgeon feedback online helped me 1000%, fear of the unknown consumes my sanity.

I'm still not stoked, but it's the next step in putting this awful disease behind me, and your first step.

Keep your chin up because we both will be better for making it through this experience! 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.