Surgery or Aspiration?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have medium-sized hydrocele and next week i have an appointment with my urologist to discuss surgery. Should i ask him about aspiration? I really want to try it before surgery. Anyone here had aspiration with good results? Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've heard the fluid almost always returns that's why they say to just have the surgery.

• Posted

Hi! I hope I can give you some good advice. I had a pretty large hydrocele on my left side. No pain just very uncomfortable. I had surgery in July...no complications...no pain....a little uncomfortable....but a very successful surgery! Aspiration does work...and guess what, the fluid come back. ....nor right away but it will return! So have the surgery.. it's about a half hour of your time and you have no more hydro.  Some other good advice with post op.....have plenty of ice packs in the freezer....ICE is your BEST FRIEND...Keep the boys chilled round the clock....this is without a doubt the most IMPORTANT step to a quick recovery. Secondly, they will most likely give you some pain killers-Percocet or equivalent....don't be a martyr...take the pill when you get home and sleep. I could have gone back to work in a week and a half but I took some vacation. Any good urologist will stay away from aspiration. Hope this helps you!  Best of luck!  Remember ICE baby ICE!

• Posted

I have read that there is a chance it wont come back after aspiration(pretty good chance) is that not true? My problem is i had a surgery before that didn't go very well so im scared as f**k. Would it be bad if i try aspiration first and if it wont work i will do surgery? Any dudes here that had aspiration?

• Posted

Glad to hear you had a successful surgery! I am looking to get the surgery soon, i have had multiple unsuccessful aspirations. My current urologist doesnt think there is a local surgery that can perform the surgery so now I am looking else where.

What doctor did you use?

• Posted

Good morning:

I look as aspiration as putting a band-aid on the problem. It's only a temporary fix. Chances are good that the fluid will return.  99% of the time when have a surgeon who has done the surgery many times, you do the surgery once, and no more fluid.

Regards,

Raffie.

• Posted

i think if you're talking about aspiration it almost always returns. if you are talking about sclerotherapy (which involves aspiration but also injection of a sclerosing agent), this has better success rates though not as high as surgery. The upside is recovery time is a day and there are very little complications. Unfortunately most doctors don't perform sclerotherapy so its hard to find. Look up details online.

• Posted

If you aspirate it, it will probably return. If they operate it can but probably won't. All I can say to you is that I had a really good result from my operation. I was back on my bike after 3 days and the dull ache I had after my vasectomy is gone. I thought the operation was trivial. The worst part of the operation was getting the superglue on my scrotum to come off.

• Posted

i am 16 days post op from hydrocele surgery and IMO it is the biggest mistake i have made in my life. my testicle itself is about 3 times larger, the actual nut. plus i already have fluid back. hydrocelectomy didn't prevent it from reforming for more than a month. now im broke and used up a good chunk of my sick time for recovery. swelling is likely to get way worse since my testicle is huge already. i will never be fooled into having this surgery again.

• Posted

Hi, it depends of you age my doctor said, that aspiration is done for people 85+

I drained the hydrocele 3 times myself, which the doctor said could be a big mistake, because after each drainage new adhesions of veins occur and then the operation is more difficult. You can ask you doctor, too. My operation went well, you can see in my previous post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.